William SMOOT b. ca. 159835; presumed living 14 Jan 166536/166637
when Grace SMOOT, "wife" [not widow] of William SMOOT died
m. 2. Grace1 (widow) WOOD1
As William had a daughter Elizabeth SMOOT, and his wife Grace had a daughter
Elizabeth WOOD, it is doubtful that Elizabeth SMOOT, or any children older
her were children of Grace. As a birth order of William's children is
unproved, it is unknown which children may be by which wife.
William SMOOT had children:
1. Thomas1,64 SMOOT b. ca. 1634; m. Jone2/Joan3 BATTEN;2 d. ca. 1668 Charles Co., MD3
2. Richard1 SMOOT m. Elizabeth;4 d. between 23 Apr. and 31 Oct. 1676
Charles Co., MD5
3. Elizabeth1 SMOOT m. Humphrey ATWICKES63
4. Anne1,64 SMOOT b. ca. 1640;62 m. 1. William HUNGERFORD;6 m.2. William BARTON;6,64
d. ca. 1662 Charles Co., MD7
5. Alice1 SMOOT
6. William10 SMOOT born after 1646;1 m. Jane by 1684;8 d. between
24 Feb. 1715/6 and 4 July 1716 Richmond Co., VA9
William's wife before her marriage had one known child.
1. Elizabeth WOOD1
Thomas SMOOT and Jone/Joan BATTEN had children:
1. William2,15 SMOOT b. ca. 165515 Charles Co., MD; d. between 12 Apr. 170611 and
30 Apr. 170711 Westmoreland Co., VA; m.1. Anne;14 m.2. Eleanor11 VEALE13 between
23 Feb. 1697 12 and 26 June 170013
2. Thomas SMOOT b. say 1660; m. Elizabeth22 BARTON16,17; d. between 6 Jan. 1704
and 30 Jan. 1704/5 Charles Co., MD16
William SMOOT wrote his will in Westmoreland Co., VA in 1706.11
William and first wife Anne had children:
1. William11 SMOOT; died before 1747 with no living children18
2. Thomas11 SMOOT never married; d. ca. 171919
William SMOOT and second wife Eleanor VEALE had children:
3. Sarah11,20 SMOOT Westmoreland Co., VA; m. James29 RIGG20,29
4. Winifred11,20 SMOOT Westmoreland Co., VA; m. William HARRISON;20,21 living 173920
5. Mary11 SMOOT b. before 1703 Westmoreland Co., VA; m. John RICE;30
died before 26 Nov. 172971
6. John20,21,65 SMOOT b. 170731 Westmoreland Co., VA; died between 26 Oct. and
15 Dec. 1789;32 m.1. -?- -?-; m.2. Sarah20 (widow) CRANE28; m.3. -?- -?-
William SMOOT's second wife Eleanor VEALE after his death married secondly
William TRIGG and third John ASHTON [AUSTIN]. In all the VA records,
John and Eleanor are listed as ASHTON, while in MD records they apppear as
AUSTIN/ASTIN. She was married to John ASHTON between 30 Jan. 1722 
when Ellenor TRIGG was allowed to keep an ordinary in her home,73 and
22 Feb. 1723  when John ASHTON sold a tract of 150 acres to Thomas
BARNES in Westmoreland Co., VA.74 John stated on 2 July 1722 he held
the land by right of having married the widow of Daniel SULLIVANT, on
whose death the land had escheated as SULLIVANT had no heirs. The land was
part of patent to John BEARD in 1666 who had sold it to Danl. SULLIVANT on
4 Oct. 1672. A patent to John ASHTON for the 150 acres he possessed was
granted on 15 Feb. 1722/3.75
At the same time that John and Ellenor acknowleged on 27 Feb. 1723 
their sale to BARNES, John ASHTON also had leave to keep an ordinary,
for which William VEALE was one of his securities.76
Daniel SULLIVANT's widow that John ASHTON married was named Mary. She had
married Rice WILLIAMS after the decease of Daniel SULLIVANT before she
married John ASHTON. On 26 Nov. 1718 Mary WILLIAMS, relict of Rice
WILLIAMS was granted administration on his estate.77
On 24 May 1719 as Mary WILLIAMS she sold to Nathaniel GRAY 100 acres.
It was part of 250 acres patented by John BEARD and sold to Daniel SWILLIVANT
on 4 Oct. 1672 who by deed of gift gave it to his wife Mary.78
John Austin wrote his will in 1732/3 in St. Mary's Co., MD.21
Eleanor wrote her will in 1739, but it was not probated until 1746.20
She had no children by her third husband John AUSTIN.
Eleanor (VEALE) SMOOT secondly married between 26 Jan. 1708/923 and 28 Aug.
171224 to William TRIGG. He was deceased by 29 Jan. 1717/8 when Eleanor
was administrator of his estate.25
Eleanor VEALE and second husband William TRIGG had children:
1. Susanna20 TRIGG b. say 1713;26 m. Thomas DOXCEY;20 living 173920
2. William72 TRIGG b. say 1715; d. 173072-173920
3. Jemima20 TRIGG b. say 1717; d. before 173920
4. Elizabeth TRIGG21 b. say 1719; d. between 173321 and 173920
John SMOOT b. 1707 Westmoreland Co., VA wrote his will in 1789;32 m.1
name unknown who died before 1734 and had children:
1. Austin Sanford SMOOT20,21 b. ca. 172727; living 177838
John SMOOT m.2.
Sarah, widow of Robert CRANE; she d. by 175228 St. Mary's Co., MD
John SMOOT and Sarah had children:
2. John20,28 SMOOT b. ca. 173728 St. Mary's Co., MD; d. between 30 Dec. 1788 and
14 July 1789 St. Mary's Co., MD33
3. child20 SMOOT b. ca. 1739;20 died before 175228
4. George28 SMOOT b. ca. 174228 St. Mary's Co., MD; m. Anne BEALE [BEALL]39; d. before 178932
5. Cuthbert28 SMOOT b. ca. 174428 St. Mary's Co., MD d. 178042-178932 St. Mary's Co.,
6. Caleb28,32 SMOOT b. ca. 174728 St. Mary's Co., MD; m.1. -?- -?-; m.2. Martha
McCLAMROCK 10 Sep. 1795;40 d. between 3 Mar. and 24 July 1797 Orange Co.,
John SMOOT m.3.
name unknown died before 1789 and they had children:
7. William32 SMOOT b. say 1750 St. Mary's Co., MD; m.1. -?- -?-; m.2. Margaret
JENIFER 24 June 1793;43 d. between 13 May and 31 Aug. 1815 Rowan Co., NC44
8. Thomas32,34 SMOOT b. say 1752 St. Mary's Co., MD never married; d. between
13 Apr. 1795 and 15 Mar 1796 St. Mary's Co., MD46
9. Anna32,34,46 SMOOT b. ca. 1754 St. Mary's Co., MD; m. Rudoph BARNHOUSE32,34;
10. Elisabeth32,46 SMOOT b. ca. 1756 St. Mary's Co., MD; never married;
d. between 25 Oct. 1790 and 4 Oct. 1791 St. Mary's Co., MD34
11. Eleanor/Elender32 SMOOT b. ca. 1758;80 St. Mary's Co., MD; m. Benjamin PRICE32;
d. 21 July 1843, bur. Ira Price Cem., Madison, Boone Co., WV80
12. Hezekiah32,34 SMOOT b. ca. 1760 St. Mary's Co., MD; m. Elizabeth -?-;81
d. between 26 Aug. and 9 Sep. 1834 Charles Co., MD47
13. Alexander32,34,46 SMOOT b. 1 Aug. 176942 St. Mary's Co., MD; m. Anne "Nancy"
(JONES)42 HAWKINS48 17 Oct. 1798;48 d. between 3 Dec. 1825;45 and 20 Feb. 1826
Rowan Co., NC79
The next generation is likely Austin Sanford SMOOT. Harry Wright NEWMAN
in The Smoots of Maryland and Virginia believed it was Cuthbert SMOOT.
James SMOOT is proved as a grandson of John SMOOT, in that John SMOOT named
him as such in his will. In the 1830 Rowan Co., NC census, James SMOOT's
age was 70-80, placing his birth between 1750 and 1760.49 This age is confirmed,
in that in the 1809 and following Rowan County tax lists, James SMOOT
appeared with land, but no white polls.68 The upper age in NC
for tithables at that time was 50, placing James as born before 1759.
James was unlikely a son of Cuthbert who was born ca. 1744 (age 8 in 1752).
Another indication that James' father was more likely Austin Sanford SMOOT,
is that Newman believed Austin Sanford SMOOT had a daughter Elizabeth that
married a MILBURN. James SMOOT's daughter Henrietta (SMOOT) LYON had a son
named Anderson Milburn LYON. Anderson was probably from her two sisters
that married ANDERSONs, and it is believed MILBURN was from her aunt's married
James32 SMOOT before 1759;68 died between 8 Oct. 1836 when he wrote his will
and Aug. 1837 when it was probated in Davie Co., NC;50 m. Jemima BENNETT51
who was living 1820.
1. Elizabeth50 SMOOT b. ca. 1784 St. Mary's Co., MD; m.bond Walter GAITHER50
5 May 1807;52 d. between 182053 and 183650 Rowan (now Davie) Co., NC
2. Mary50 SMOOT b. ca. 178654 St. Mary's Co., MD54; m. Gassaway56 GAITHER50; d.
d. 24 Nov. 1851, Mocksville,82 Davie Co., NC55
3. Margaret50 SMOOT b. ca. 178869 St. Mary's Co., MD69; m.bond Nelson ANDERSON50
24 May 1806;52 living 187070
4. Henrietta50 SMOOT b. 18 June 179057,58 Madison Co., VA59; m.bond Nathan Johnson
LYON50 dated 1 Jan. 1809;52 m. 4 Jan. 181058 (sic); d. 4 May 1873;57,58
bur. Lyon Cem., Readyville, Rutherford Co., TN57
5. Elender50 SMOOT m.bond Charles ANDERSON 5 Dec. 1808;52 d. before 183650
6. Thomas B.50 SMOOT b. 1793;61 m. Margeret BOGUE 18 Sep. 1823;60 d. 1874;61
bur. Bell (a/k/a Bell-Youree, Youree) Cemetery, Fannin Co., TX61
7. Brittania50 SMOOT b. 26 Dec. 179666 Madison Co., VA67; m.bond James SLOAN50
29 Jan. 1821;52 d. 28 Nov. 1889 Mill Bridge, Rowan Co., NC66
1. MD patents ABH, p. 230 [image 120 of 235].
13 Nov. 1652 Williams Smoote for transporting himself, Grace his wife,
Thomas, Richard, Elizabeth, Ann, and Ales Smoote his Sons and
Daughters and Elizabeth Wood his Wives Daughter about the year 1646
and Ann Woodnot his Servant about two years Since upon which Rights
he took up Three Hundred acres upon the Herring Creek and Four
Hundred acres since upon Wiccohomico River.
2. William Battin will, MD wills 1:162-163 [image 162 of 640].
3. Thomas Smoot inventory, MD Testamentary Proceedings 2:318-325.
4. MD Patents 17, p. 517 [image 300 of 368].
5. Richard Smoot will, Charles Co., MD Wills 2, pp. 31-32.
6. Archives of Maryland 41:455.
7. Estimate from births of children of William Barton by his second wife
8. Old Rappahannock Co., VA deeds 7, pp. 158-161.
9. William Smoot will, Richmond Co., VA 1709-1717 wills & inventories, pp. 270-271.
10. Records show this William was not the son of Thomas or Richard. He
was not in the 1646 immigration in #1, so believed born after that time.
His father William Smoot returned to VA for a time, as in 1665 he claimed
land for transportation into MD for William Smoot, Grace Smoot, and Alice
Smoot. The son William is thought to have remained in VA at that time. As
the father had previously received land for those in the 1665 transportation,
that was apparently a second immigration. The elder may have been in
Westmoreland Co., or at least had business dealings there, as he is
mentioned in records in 1655, 1661, and 1664. The son was first
mentioned in Richmond Co. records in 1672.
11. William Smoot will transcription.
William Smoot will, Westmoreland Co., VA deeds and wills 4, pp. 20-21.
Harry Wright NEWMAN interpretted the will as that the daughters were of age,
and that William and Thomas may have been by the second wife. There is no
indication in his will that the daughters were of age. That William stipulated
that Willam and Thomas were to be placed under Eleanor's care, was probably
because they were not her children. That the son William (Jr.) was of sufficient
age in 1713 to testify in a court case, he was certainly a child of the first
marriage. The fact that Mary was a minor in 1717 when she chose [her uncle]
John VEALE as her guardian would indicate she was a child of the second marriage.
That William's second wife Eleanor in her will made bequests to Sarah and Winifred,
and their children, and none to William or his children would also indicate
the females were her children, and William was from the first wife.
12. Westmoreland Co., VA 1690-1698 order book, p. 258.
John Tanner to pay Ellenor Veale for proving will of Jeremia Jadsom.
13. Westmoreland Co., VA 1698-1705 order book, p. 85a.
Elleanor Veale now Ellenor Smoot to appear at next court to answer charges
of forgery exhibited against her by John Tanner.
14. Charles Co., MD land records N:213-216.
15. MD Patents 14 (vol. 16), pp. 352-353 [image 178 of 280].
Warrant in 1671, as eldest son and heir of Thomas.
Assumed to be have just reached age 16.
16. Thomas Smoot will, Charles Co., MD Will Book 3, pp. 1-2.
17. William Barton will, MD wills 14:658-659, FHL microfilm 0,012,846.
18. Land papers MS. 1341, MD Historical Society.
Note: This document was printed in Jay Berry Price, The Price, Blakemore,
Hamblen, Skipwith and Allied Lines, (Knoxville, TN: Tennessee Valley
Pub., 1992). What Price published on the Smoot family was the research
of Loretta Nixon, and published with her permission. She has kindly provided
a copy of that document, and what is at the above site is my reading of the
19. Thomas Smoot inventory, MD inventories 3:199.
20. Elenor Aston will transcription, MD wills 24:385-387, FHL microfilm 0,012,850.
Eleanor Asten will, St. Mary's Co., MD Will Book TA1, pp. 211-212.
21. John Austin will, St. Mary's Co., MD Will Book TA1, pp. 6-7.
John Austin will transcription.
22. Charles Co., MD land records R, pp. 241-242.
23. Westmoreland Co., VA 1705-1721 Order Book, p. 107.
Elizabeth [sic, Eleanor] Smoot confessed judgment to Thomsa Marson for 700
pounds tobacco due by bill from Wm. Smoot, her deceased husband.
24. Westmoreland Co., VA 1705-1721 Order Book, p. 196a.
Judgment to Thomas Marson against William Trigg and Ellenor his wife for
797 pounds tobacco recovered by said Thomas against Ellenor by the name of
25. Westmoreland Co., VA 1705-1721 Order Book, p. 334.
26. Estimate from not in will of step-father in #21, as her sister was
[probably married]. Mother of 2 children in 1739 in #20.
27. Stephen Mackey inventory, MD inventoires 36:114-119.
Astin Sanford Smoot of age to serve as administrator.
28. William Crane account, MD accounts 32:417-418.
29. William Veale will, St. Mary's Co., MD T. A. No. 1:68-69, FHL microfilm 14425.
30. Westmoreland Co., VA 1721-1731 Order Book, p. 146a.
31. Born after his father's will was written in 1706 in #11.
32. John Smoot Senr. will, St. Mary's Co., MD wills JJ1:487-488, FHL microfilm
John Smoot will transcription.
33. John Smoot Junr. will, St. Mary's Co., MD wills JJ1:480, FHL microfilm
34. Elisabeth Smoot will, St. Mary's Co., MD wills JJ1:549-551, FHL
35. Charles Co., MD land records A:158
Age 63 for deposition at 25 Sep. 1661 court
36. Charles Co., MD land records C:252
37. Charles Co., MD land records P:204
38. Daniel Sulliven will, St. Mary's Co., MD wills JJ1:68-70, FHL microfilm
0014426. Astin S. Smoot a witness.
39. John Beall will, St. Mary's Co., MD wills JJ2:40-42, FHL microfilm
40. Orange Co., VA marriage register 1, p. 37.
41. Caleb Smoot will, Orange Co., VA wills 3, p. p. 427.
42. Harry Wright Newman, The Smoots of Maryland and Virginia,
(Washington, D.C.: by author), 1936.
43. Madison Co., VA marriage register 1:245, FHL microfilm 0,032,595.
44. William Smoot will, Rowan County, NC original wills, NC State Archives.
Recorded copy Rowan Co., NC Will Book G:368.
45. Alexander Smoot will, Rowan County, NC original wills, NC State Archives.
Recorded copy Rowan Co., NC Will Book H:335-337.
46. Thomas Smoot will, St. Mary's Co., MD wills JJ2:152-153, FHL microfilm
47. Hezekiah Smoot will, Charles Co., MD wills DJ16:37, FHL microfilm 0013721.
48. Culpeper Co., VA 1781-1853 marriage register: 82, FHL microfilm 0,030,927.
49. James Smoot household, 1830 Rowan Co., NC census, p. 424.
50. James Smoot will transcription, Davie Co., NC original wills, NC State Archives,
FHL microfilm 1,548,853, frames 478-479.
Recorded copy: Will Book 1:7.
51. Joseph Bennett will, St. Mary's Co., MD wills J.J.No. 1:458, FHL microfilm 0014426.
Joseph Bennett will transcript.
52. Rowan Co., NC marriage bonds.
Walter Gaither-Elizabeth Smoot, Bondsman: Nicholas W. Gaither, FHL Microfilm 0500952.
Nelson Anderson-Margret Smoot, Bondsman: Fredrick Thompson, FHL microfilm 1760522.
Charles Anderson-Eleander Smoot, Bondsman: James Smoot (signed Smott) FHL microfilm 1,760,522.
Nathan Lyon-Henny Smoot, Bondsman: Elijah Lyon, FHL microfilm 0500954.
James Sloan-Britania Smoot, Bondsman: William F. Kelly, FHL microfilm 0,500,956.
53. 1820 Rowan Co., NC census, Walter Gaither household, p. 370.
54. 1850 Davie Co., NC census, Mary Gaither household, p. 407.
55. Mary Gaither 1852 file Davie Co., NC loose estate papers, NC State Archvies,
FHL microfilm 1,941,316, frames 539-552.
56. Gazaway Gaither 1848 file, Davie Co., NC loose estate papers, NC State
57. Stone's River Chapter SAR and Rutherford County Historical Society,
Rutherford County, Tennessee Cemeteries, (no place: no publisher,
58. Nathan Lyon Bible, (New York: American Bible Society, 1850).
Bible part 1 Bible part 2
59. 1850 Rutherford Co., TN census, Nathan Lyons household, p. 304.
60. Tennessee Historical Records Survey, Rutherford County Tennessee Marriage
Records, (Nashville, TN, 1937), p. 161.
61. Inscription Bell (a/k/a Bell-Youree, Youree) Cemetery.
62. Archives of Maryland 41:469.
63. Archives of Maryland 41:470.
64. Charles Co., MD land records A:243-244
65. Westmoreland County, Virginia 1705-1721 Order Book, p. 333a.
66. Brittania Sloan obituary, 12 Dec. 1889 issue Carolina Watchman, p. 3,
67. 1850 Rowan Co., NC census, Brittina Sloan household, p. 159.
68. 1809 Rowan Co., NC tax list, Capt. Rose's Company.
James moved to Rowan Co. in 1805 when he purchased land.
There are no 1805, 1806, or 1808 lists, and the 1807 is only partial.
69. 1850 Henry Co., TN, Newton (sic) Anderson household, p. 317.
Note: Tax lists from the 1840s (FHL microfilm 1,011,525) list Nelson
Anderson in District 9, the same District in which "Newton" appears in 1850.
70. 1870 Henry Co., TN, A. Linton household, p. 315.
71. Westmoreland Co., VA 1721-1731 Order Book, p. 300.
John Rice was stated as having married Ann, widow of William Hazelrig.
72. Westmoreland Co., VA 1721-1731 Order Book, p. 317.
73. Westmoreland Co., VA 1721-1731 Order Book, p. 30a.
74. Westmoreland Co., VA Deeds & Wills 8-1, pp. 16-20.
75. Virginia Northern Neck Land Grants A:5.
76. Westmoreland Co., VA 1721-1731 Order Book, p. 57a-58.
77. Westmoreland Co., VA 1705-1721 Order Book, p. 359.
78. Westmoreland Co., VA Deeds and Wills 6, pp. 512-517.
79. Alexander Smoot, 1826 file, Rowan Co., NC loose estates files, image 2.
80. Nelley Price headstone, Ira Price Cem., Madison, Boone Co., WV.
81. William and Mary Parish, (St. George's Church, "Poplar Hill Church"), p. 366.
82. Mary Gaither death notice, Carolina Watchman, 4 Dec. 1851 issue, page 3, column 3.
Page created by: email@example.com
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 28 Dec. 2020