William Barton b. ca. 16051 (Warwickshire?)27, England; died ca. 16752
Charles Co., MD
1. daughter BARTON m. Thomas28 THOMAS3 [same as Margaret below?]
2. William4,12 BARTON b. ca. 16348; m.1. Anne7 SMOOT (the widow of William
HUNGERFORD,5,6 Sr.); m.2. Mary;16 died between 5 and 22 Sep. 1717 Charles
3. Nathan13 BARTON b. ca. 16379; m. Martha11; d. between 5 Nov. 16819 and
4 Oct. 1685 Stafford Co., VA10
4. Margaret12 BARTON [same as married Thomas THOMAS above?]
William BARTON and Anne SMOOT had children:
1. Grace14 BARTON b. 26 Aug. 165914 Charles Co., MD; d. 31 Aug. 165914
Charles Co., MD
2. William15 BARTON b. 29 June 166215 Charles Co., MD; d. before 1668 when
William had another son named William born22
William BARTON and Mary had children:
A child of William Barton (b. ca. 1634), unnamed in the record was
born 25 Mar. 166718. This could be either Mary or Margaret. If
Margaret was the child born in 1667, then Mary was born between 1662
and 1667 and could be a child of either wife, Anne SMOOT or Mary. If
Mary was the child born in 1667, then Margaret would have been born
between 1662-1667. As Margaret married William Hungerford, Jr., a son
of Anne Smoot (1st wife of William Barton) by her first husband William
Hungerford, Sr., Margaret cannot be a daughter of Anne Smoot, as that
would make her a half sister to her husband. Margaret would have been
a child William Barton's second marriage to Mary, as would all children
born after her.
1. Mary16 BARTON m. Thomas WARREN;16 living 168816
2. Margaret19 BARTON m.1. William HUNGERFORD,19 Jr.; m.2. Jacob MILLER;20
3. William4 BARTON b. 27 Feb. 166722 [1667/8] Charles Co., MD; m. Sarah4
(MARSHAM)23 WARING4,23; d. between 23 Oct. 170525 and 6 Nov. 170525 Prince
George's Co., MD4,25
4. Elizabeth26 BARTON b. 27 Feb. 1671/226 Charles Co., MD; m. Thomas
SMOOT;17,24 d. before 6 Jan. 170424 Charles Co., MD
1. Archives of Maryland 41:9.
2. Archives of Maryland 65:580.
3. Archives of Maryland 10:568.
4. Charles Co., MD land records D2:32-33.
5. Archives of Maryland 41:455.
6. Charles Co., MD land records A:243-244.
7. Archives of Maryland 41:469.
8. Henry C. Peden, Jr. Maryland Deponents 1634-1799, (Westminster,
MD: Family Line Publications, 1991).
9. Archives of Maryland 17:52.
10. Ruth and Sam Sparcio, Stafford County, Virginia Deeds, Wills and
Inventories 1686-1689, 62a.
11. Archives of Maryland 60:294.
12. MD Patents, 5, p. 331 [image 171 of 328].
William Barton had due 400 acres for transporting himself, his wife [not named],
William his son Margaret his daughter, Thomas Saunders, Mary Courts, Henry
Bake, and Robert Sullivan, and 100 acres for service. 19 June 1663 Grant of
parcel "Hedlow" for 500 acres on Wicocomico River, adjacent Thomas Gerrard.
13. Believed to be a son of William Sr. because of his age, residence,
and association with William, Sr. and proved son William, Jr. Among
those records see #11 where Nathan sold land to William Jr. See
also see Archives of Maryland 60:190., where William Barton, presumably
Sr. since not listed as Jr., gave a cow to William Barton, son of
14. Charles Co., MD land records A:70.
15. Charles Co., MD land records A:240.
16. Charles Co., MD land records P:6-7.
17. William Barton will, Charles Co., MD wills 3:119-120.
William Barton will transcription, MD wills 14:658-659, FHL microfilm 0,012,846.
18. Charles Co., MD land records C:252.
19. Charles Co., MD land records R:537-538.
20. William Hungerford account, Charles Co., MD Administration Accounts 1708-1738, pp. 43-44.
21. Charles Co., MD land records M2:343-344.
22. Charles Co., MD land records C:260.
23. Richard Marsham will, Prince George's Co., MD wills 1:69-72.
24. Thomas Smoot will, Charles Co., MD Will Book 3, pp. 1-2.
25. William Barton will, Prince George's Co., MD wills 1:26-29.
26. Charles Co., MD land records E:72a.
27. William Barton will, Charles Co., MD wills 3:24-25.
This testator, son of Nathan and grandson of William (born ca. 1605)
left tracts to son William and if he died without heirs to the Bartons
of Warwickshire in England.
28. Evidence that the given name of the father of William Barton's grandson
William Thomas is Thomas Thomas includes:
a) Maryland Patents Q, pp. 221-222 [images 114-115].
21 June 1658 laid out for Thomas Thomas of the Province, Planter, a parcel of land
on the east side on the main fresh run at the head of St. Clements Bay called
"Bachelors Rest" [boundaries] adjacent Thomas's Run laid out for 500 acres.
22 November 1658 John Lewger, late Principal Secretary of the Province, had land
due for having transported many persons into the Province. Grant to Thomas Thomas,
assignee of John Lewger, son and heir apparent of the late Principal Secretary, a
parcel of land on the east side on the main fresh run at the head of St. Clements Bay
called "Bachelors Rest" [boundaries] adjacent Thomas's Run laid out for 500 acres.
b) Archives of Maryland 41, p. 188.
William Barton also owned land on St. Clements Bay.
c) Thomas Thomas will, Maryland Will Book 1, pp. 411-412.
8 December 1670 Son William was to receive that plantation I now live on and also
the first hundred acres of land in the woods. Daughters Mary, Grace, and Elizabeth were
to receive the remainder of the tract which is 400 acres.
d) William Thomas will, Maryland Will Book 4, pp. 105-106.
7 January 1684 William Thomas mentioned the tract "Batchellor's Rest" in his will.
Page created by: email@example.com
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 9 April 2023