In 2011 a descendant of Bartholomew Herrington through his son John y-DNA tested.
He was been found to be a 36/37 match with the modal of Lineage I at the
Harrington DNA Project where he is kit 835908.
Since that time a person descended from Bartholomew through his son Isaac has y-DNA tested
with Ancestry.com, and is also a match. There are several interesting things to note about
Lineage I. There are several members of that lineage that came from County Cork, Ireland in
the 1800s, which would support the tradition that Bartholomew's ancestry was Irish. An
interesting website gives details on the early origin of Clan Harrington in the
Beara Peninsula, which is where matches with Bartholomew are found.
One person that has been of interest for about 30 years as possibly being the father
of Bartholomew is Isaac Herrington who died in 1768 in York County, PA, leaving a widow
Jane. He was of interest for several reasons:
1. Bartholomew Herrington named his oldest son Isaac.
2. Bartholomew had a daughter named Jane.
3. Tradition published in histories of Jefferson County, MO stated that Bartholomew was
born in Lancaster County, PA. York County were Isaac lived was formed in 1749 from
4. The only Herrington families identified in that area of PA at that time were the
children of Jacob, who was the father of Isaac who died in 1768.
5. The only known original source for an age of Bartholomew was his headstone, which stated he
died 28 Sep. 1821 in the 82nd year of his age, placing his birth as about 1740.1 While a modern
memorial placed around the original stated he was born 10 April 1740, the source of that
information is unknown. The source of that exact date may be a record which also claimed
that Bartholomew was the son of Abraham HERRINGTON, but those claims should be
regarded with skepticism.
In 2014 Bartholomew HERRINGTON descendants had a y-DNA match with a descendant of Cornelius
HERRINGTON through his son Jacob. Jacob moved from Baltimore Co., MD to York County, PA, and
was the father of Isaac born in 1727 who died there in 1768, leaving a widow named Jane.
The Bartholomew HERRINGTON descendant and Cornelius HERRINGTON descendant are both 36/37 matches
with the modal for Lineage I in the HARRINGTON DNA Project. One differs on CDYa, which with
CDYb are the "fastest" mutating markers among those first 37. The other differs on 576, which
is the second fastest mutating marker.
The y-DNA match proves that the lines of Cornelius HERRINGTON and Bartholomew HERRINGTON
share a common direct line male ancestor. The closeness of the y-DNA match suggests that
if Bartholomew was not a descendant of Cornelius, that the common ancestor would not be
much earlier. The ancestry of Cornelius is not known, and neither he nor of his children
have been found in association with any other HERRINGTON families.
While Cornelius had a son Isaac born in 1705, no records have been found of him after that
time, suggesting that he died young. If Bartholomew was a descendant of Cornelius then he
would have to have been through his only known son with descendants, that being Jacob.
It is believed that both the Cornelius descendant and Bartholomew descendant are seven
generations removed from Jacob HERRINGTON, son of Cornelius. One mutation on the 37 marker
test in that time period is about "average." If Bartholomew was descended from an unknown
brother to Cornelius, then 9 generations would have passed from both the Cornelius descendant
and Bartholomew descendant. Only one mutation in each line in 9 generations would be possible,
but with each passing generation the odds of only one mutation would decrease.
Based on the y-DNA match, plus the five points above, it is thought that Bartholomew was
through Jacob's son Isaac, being Isaac's son who was recorded in church records as
"Metallami," which was misread in some published abstracts as "Metallinir." He was born
on 19 December 1751 and baptized 1 November 1752 at Christ Lutheran Church in York, York
The name "Metallami" is obviously not a "real" name, so the question is, what was it actually
supposed to be? Christ Lutheran was a German church. All records were recorded in German by
a native German priest. It is not known how well he may have understood English, especially
if it was spoken by parents with a possible Irish accent. An initial B and initial M have
very similar sounds. Consider how different writers describe the sound a sheep makes as
baa and maa. There are various websites that describe how the initial B and M are considered
"sister sounds" because of the way they are formed with the mouth. Change the initial M in the
baptismal entry to B and pronounce Bah-tall-a-me, and how similar does it sound to "Bartholomew"
when spoken with an Irish accent and heard by a native German speaker?
Also, consider how Bartholomew apparently pronounced his own name as "Bartholumy" based on
the spelling used in depositions Elizabeth gave regarding her husband in the pension file
of William DRENNEN.3 He also signed the Wilkinson Memorial in 1805 as "Barthomee (x) herington"106
giving another suggestion as to how persons heard him pronounce his name. Those pronunciations
are very close to the sound of the 1751 birth record, when the initial M in the record is
changed to a B.
While the 1751 birth date is 11 years younger than the age for Bartholomew being in the
"82 year of his age" as given on his headstone, such a discrepancy would not be unusual. It
was very common for death or cemetery records to add a few years to a person's actual age
at their death. The 1740 birth had always been viewed as questionable, as the ages of several
of Bartholomew's children were known from census. His oldest child appeared to be Mary, who
was born about 1779. If the 1740 birth were correct, that would make him about age 39 when his
first child was born. While that was not impossible, that would be very uncommon for the times.
Having a first child born at about age 28, if was born in 1751 would be more "normal" for the
One other point is regarding the above record that alleged that Bartholomew was the son of
Abraham HERRINGTON. While there are many parts of that record that suggest it was not dictated
by Bartholomew (who signed documents with a mark), it may have had parts based on
remembered facts by descendants. As discussed on the Cornelius Herrington page,
there was an Abraham HERRINGTON who is believed to be a brother not father to
Bartholomew. After their mother Jane died about 1774, Abraham took over the administration
of Isaac's estate, probably as the oldest son.
The wife of Bartholomew HERRINGTON was Elizabeth -?- as proved by St. Louis
Co., MO deeds where on 10 June 1815 "Bartholomew HERRINGTON and wife
Elizabeth" sold land.2 Elizabeth also made depositions regarding her
"husband Bartholumy HERRINGTON" in 1837 in the Revolutionary War pension
claim of Wiliam DRENEN (DRENNEN).3 A modern inscription placed around
the original headstone states she died 16 March 1817 in her 90th year.
People who have viewed the original headstone in person state that is actually
says 1847, not 1817. Note that on the picture of her original stone, it appears
to be 1847, not 1817, and that the spacing would fit a "4," but would be too large
for a "1."4
There are also claims that Bartholomew HERRINGTON had a first name Joseph.
The source of this is Louis HOUCK's A History of Missouri, with his information
on early settlers taken from land records.5 No original records which he used
have been found to name a "Joseph Bartholomew HERRINGTON." In all likelihood
he confused records in his notes while preparing the book. Bartholomew had
no first name Joseph.
The first record of Bartholomew was in 1777 when as Bartholomew HETHERINGTON
he appeared as a private in Captain Mitchell's Company.6 Hugh MITCHELL was
Captain of the 3rd Company of James SMITH's 3rd Battalion of Westmoreland Co., PA.7
At some point he was taken a prisoner of war, and held on the prison ship "Old Jersey"
in Wallabout Bay, Brooklyn, New York, where he was booked as Bartholomew HARRINGTON.88
After 1783,8 but by 1785 he moved to Fayette Co., KY where he signed a petition
for the formation of what became Bourbon County.9 He also signed a petition
from Bourbon Co., in July 1788 requesting a tobacco inspection station be established
on the South Fork of the Licking Creek at the Confluence of Stoner and Hinksons Forks
of said Creek near Isaac Ruddles Mill.10 The division of lands of John Hinkson, deceased,
mentioned a boundary running “up the creek to a spring coming out of under the bank near
to the cabbin which Bartholomew Harrington Built.”11
He appeared in Bourbon County tax lists in 1788, 1791 and 1792,12 Harrison County13
from 1794-1796 and Campbell County in 1797 and 1798.14
On 3 June 1798 he applied for 500 arpents (425.5 acres) of land in what would become
Missouri, that was granted 8 June 1799.15 The survey was recorded as
Biographical information on Bartholomew HERRINGTON.
Bartholomew HERRINGTON, born 19 December 1751 married
Elizabeth born about 1757; d. [probably] 16 Mar. 1847 Jefferson Co., MO
1. Mary HERRINGTON16 b. ca. 1779 Westmoreland Co.,39 PA40; m. John
WILSON;17,94 d. 1859 Jefferson Co., MO94,95
2. Isaac HERRINGTON16 b. say 1780;18 Westmoreland Co., PA39; m. Sarah
HILDEBRAND;19 d. about 1822 Jefferson Co., MO20
3. John HERRINGTON16 b. Nov. 1782;21,108 Westmoreland Co.,39 PA21; m. Nancy SMIRL;41,111 1808;111
d. 19 Mar. 1864;16,101,108 Jefferson Co., MO;22,101 bur. Herrington Family
Burial Ground, Jefferson County.108
4. Samuel HERRINGTON16 b. say 1786;23 KY24; m. Susanah WICKERHAM;25 d. ca. 1849
Jefferson Co., MO,26
5. William HERRINGTON16 b. 1788;27,89 KY; m. Ruth29 CONNER30; d. 23 Mar.89 186327,89
Jefferson Co., MO28 bur. Harrington Cem., Jefferson Co.89
6. Elizabeth HERRINGTON16
7. Jane "Jinney"111 HERRINGTON;16 b. KY;31 m. Jonathan HILDEBRAND;101 d. between
25 Nov. 1826,102 and 22 Mar. 1829,35Jefferson Co., MO
8. Joshua HERRINGTON3,16 b. 27 May 1800;32,86 near Harrisonville,
Monroe Co.,33 IL; m. Sarah DRENNEN;19 d. 14 Sep. 1884;32,87 (1883)86
Jefferson Co., MO32
John HERRINGTON and Nancy SMIRL had children:
1. Bartholomew HERRINGTON16 b. ca. 1809 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Eliza34
HILDEBRAN 28 June 1829;35 died between 25 Oct. and 16 Nov. 1830
Jefferson Co., MO34
2. Joshua HERRINGTON16 b. 8 Feb. 1811;38 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Lucinda
WIDEMAN;52,90,113 d. 9 Sep. 1886 Jefferson Co., MO; bur. Herrington Family
3. Mary "Polly" HERRINGTON16 b. say 1813 probably Arkansas;101 m. John
HILDERBRAND16 23 Apr. 1829;35 d. age 20;16 Jefferson Co., MO
4. John C. HERRINGTON16 b. 29 Apr. 1819;42 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Martha
BAKER 20 Oct. 1842;35 d. 14 Nov. 1893, bur. Pilgrims Rest Baptist
Church Cem., Jefferson Co., MO42
5. Elizabeth16,43 Emeline44 HERRINGTON b. ca. 1824;43 Jefferson Co., MO; m.
John A. HENSLEY16 24 Mar. 1839;35 d. Apr. 1862;16 Jefferson Co., MO
6. Samuel T. HERRINGTON16 b. ca. 1825 Jefferson Co., MO; m.1. Catherine
PENCE 17 July 1845;35 divorced; m.2. Josephine ALEXANDER 5 Feb.
1851;35 d. 1857;16 Jefferson Co., MO
7. James R. HERRINGTON16 b. 29 June 1829;45 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Nancy E.
TRASK 24 May 1853;46 d. 23 Nov. 1865;45 Jefferson Co., MO; bur. Herrington
Family Burial Ground45
Joshua HERRINGTON and Lucinda WIDEMAN had children:
1. John F. HERRINGTON b. 24 Mar. 183447 Jefferson Co., MO; d. 5 Apr.
1835 Jefferson Co., MO47
2. Nancy Emily HERRINGTON118 b. Mar. 1836;55 Jefferson Co., MO; m.
Orson BAKER16,118 2 Aug. 1855;35 living 190055
3. Mary A. HERRINGTON118 b. ca. 1838 Jefferson Co., MO; m. William
HEARST16,118 10 Oct. 1855;35 d. 29 July 1863;16 Jefferson Co., MO
4. Silas Nathaniel Green HERRINGTON118 b. 22 Mar. 1841;36,49,52,57 Jefferson
Co., MO;52 m.1. 22 Nov. 1860 Cynthia Jane BEELER;35,36,49 m.2.
Abigail Frances LEWIS 16 Apr. 1868;36,37,49 m.3. 26 Dec. 1869 Rebecca Ann
SHORT;35,36,49 m.4. 24 Dec. 1914 Mariba (HUGHES)36 FLOWERS;49,56 second and third
wives are cousins; d. 4 Apr. 1919;48,49,52,57 bur. Union Cem., Texas Co., MO49,52,57
5. Missouri Irene HERRINGTON118 b. 22 Mar. 1841;58 Jefferson Co., MO;
m. John B. CRAFT16,118 12 Mar. 1865;35 d. 25 Aug. 1923, bur. Pinelawn Cem.,
Texas Co., MO58
6. Perlina Ann HERRINGTON118 b. 7 Mar. 1844'50,52 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Levi
McCOLLOCH16,118 1 July 1860;35 d. 8 Apr. 1938'50,52 bur. Anthonies Mill Cem.,
a/k/a Kimberlin Cem., Washington Co., MO50
7. Virginia Frances HERRINGTON118 b. 23 Dec. 1847;52,109 Jefferson Co.,
MO; m.1. George HEARST16 19 Jan. 1865;35 m.2. Nathaniel Sylvester
HUSKEY16,109,118 13 Oct. 1878;35 d. 7 Dec. 1922; bur. Hillsboro Cem., Jefferson
8. Benjamin Franklin HERRINGTON118 b. 22 Nov. 1850'54 Jefferson Co.,
MO; m.1. Martha A. OGLE 17 Nov. 1878;35 m.2. Rosa M. POWER 7 June
1885;35 m.3. Millie Dora52 REYNOLDS 20 Nov. 1890;35 d. 24 Dec. 1928;54
Glade Chapel Cem., Jefferson Co., MO53
9. Rev. George Washinton HERRINGTON118 b. 24 July 1853;59,60 Jefferson Co., MO;
m. Henrietta KERKOWSKI 15 Feb. 1874;35,59 d. 31 July 1928;59,60 bur. Tecumseh
Mission Cem., Tecumseh, Pottawatomie Co., OK60
10. Elias Samuel HERRINGTON118 b. 4 Mar. 1856;85,113 Jefferson Co., MO; m. Jennie
MITCHELL 28 Aug. 1881;37 d. 25 May 1941 Payette, Payette Co., ID85,113
bur. Riverside Cem.85,113
11. Rosella HERRINGTON b. ca. 1859 Jefferson Co., MO;62 d. 1860,62-1870,63
Jefferson Co., MO
12. Dr. Joshua Lawson HERRINGTON118 b. 20 July 1861 Jefferson Co., MO;64,65,90 m.1
Ella TATUM 30 May 1889;117 m.2. Lena FOREMAN 20 Feb. 1937;67 d. 12 Dec. 1939;65
bur. Oak View Cem., Mullin, Mills Co., TX66,90,91
one other child died young
Biographical information on Silas Nathaniel Green HERRINGTON.
Green HERRINGTON and Jane BEELER had children:
1. Dr. William Franklin HERRINGTON36 b. 12 Sep. 1861 Jefferson Co., MO;71
m. Mary Elizabeth COATS 27 Dec. 1885;56 d. 1771 June 190336
Grants Pass, Josephine Co., Oregon, bur. Fairmount Memorial Park,110
Spokane, Spokane Co., WA71
2. George Washington HERRINGTON36 b. 951/24103 Nov. 1862;51 Jefferson Co., MO;
m. Cordelila Mires COATS 14 Dec. 1884;56 d. 25 Oct. 1914;36,51,103 bur.
Harrison Cem., Kootenai Co., ID51
3. Orlena Victoria Jane HERRINGTON36 b. 15 Dec. 1864 Jefferson
Co., MO; never married; d. 16 Feb. 1916, bur. Ozark Church Cem.,
Texas Co., MO36
Green HERRINGTON and Abigail Francis LEWIS had child:
1. Dr. James Joshua HERRINGTON36 b. 165,104 Mar. 1869; m.1. 19 Oct. 1896
Annie B. (-?-)77 CRUMLEY;70 m.2. Eva Luella (RILEY)69 McKEE
1 Jan. 1919;68 d. 7 May 1936;65,104 Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai Co., ID104
bur. Forest Cem., Coeur d'Alene93,104
Green HERRINGTON and Rebecca Ann SHORT had children all born in
Houston, Texas Co., MO:
1. Dr. Perry Andre HERRINGTON b. 23 Oct. 1870;36 m.1. Nora Edna DUKE
30 Jan. 1895;56 m.2. Frances Margaret PHILLIPS 22 Jan. 1914;72 d.
13 June 1960, bur. Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai Co., ID78
2. Abigail Frances HERRINGTON b. 12 Jan. 1872;36 m. William
Edward PALMER 23 Aug. 1912;75 d. 27 Oct. 1951, Harper, KS,
bur. Harper Cem., Harper Co., KS75,92
3. Mary Irene HERRINGTON b. 17 Mar. 1873;36,79 m. Fernando Erastus
STROUD 15 Oct. 1893;56,76 d. 18 Aug. 1933;48,79 bur. Hillcrest Cem.,
Rocky Ford, Otero Co., Colo.79
4. Silas Green HERRINGTON b. 3 Sep. 1874;36 m. Virda FOURT
20 Mar. 1898;56 d. 19 Sep. 1921;48,100 Dillon, Beaverhead Co., MT;
bur. Lima, Beaverhead Co.,MT100
5. Lucy Rebecca Jane HERRINGTON b. 27 Feb. 1876;36,52 m. William81 Almon80 STEWART
20 Feb. 1901;56 d. 1 Sep. 1947;52 bur. Oakland Cem., Upton Twp., Texas Co., MO52,82
6. Emily Anna HERRINGTON b. 10 Jan. 1878;36,73 m. James January114 CHAMBERLAIN
29 Apr. 1900;74 d. 30 Jan. 1950 Pasadena, Los Angeles Co., CA;73 buried
Mountain View Cemetery, Altadena, CA73,114
7. Thomas Erving HERRINGTON b. 9 June 1879;36 d. 10 Aug. 1881;36,96 bur.
Union Cem., Texas Co., MO96
8. Rosa Elizabeth HERRINGTON b. 4 Apr. 1881;36,83 m. Alfred Lawson
FLOWERS 5 May 1900;56 d. 17 Sep. 1961 Blackwell, Kay Co., OK,
bur. Blackwell I.O.O.F Cem.83
9. John Lawson HERRINGTON b. 2 July 1882;36 d. 23 Aug. 1882;36,97 bur. Union
Cem., Texas Co., MO97
10. Henry LAWS HERRINGTON b. 8 Oct. 1883;36,61 m.1 Hattie Elizabeth
(GARDNER)52 LEAVITT 29 Mar. 1927;84 m.2. Eliza Ann (GILMORE) SNELSON
about 15 Nov. 1934 (license date-no return);112 d. 6 Oct. 1948 Emida, Benewah Co., ID61
bur. Fairview Cem., Rockford, Spokane Co., WA107
11. Lida May HERRINGTON b. 4 Nov. 1884;36,98 d. 26 Nov. 1884;36,98 bur. Union
Cem., Texas Co., MO98
12. Oscar Lee HERRINGTON b. 25 May 1886;36,99 d. 4 July 1887;115 bur. Union
Cem., Texas Co., MO99
Green HERRINGTON and Mariba (HUGHES) FLOWERS had no children.
1. Bartholomew Herrington headstone, Herrington Cemetery, Pevely, Jefferson Co., MO.
2. St. Louis Co., MO deed book E:219.
3. William Drennan Revolutionary War pension file S15816, NARA micropublication 804, roll 852.
Elizabeth, widow of Bartholumy Herrington, depostion.
Joshua Herrington, son of Bartholumy Herrington, depostion.
4. Elizabeth Herrington headstone, Herrington Cemetery, Pevely, Jefferson Co., MO.
5. Louis Houck, A History of Missouri, (R. R. Donnelley & Sons, Company,
1908), III, p. 84 [image 92].
6. Pennsylvania Archives, 2nd Ser., Vol. 14, p. 694 [image 708].
7. Pennsylvania Archives, 6th Ser., Vol. 2, pp. 310-311 [images 312-313].
8. 1783 Westmoreland Co., PA tax list, Mount Pleasant Twp., p. 3, FHL microfilm
1,027,065, item 2.
9. Virginia Legislative Petitions, Kentucky Counties, Folder labeled "1785, Nov. 25" folder
2nd column, name 4, Berthemelu Herrington
10. Virginia Legislative Petitions, Kentucky Counties, Folder labeled "1788, Oct. 27" folder
2nd column, name 2, Barthol. Harrington
11. Bourbon Co., KY Court Orders A: 519.
12. Bourbon Co., KY tax lists.
1788 Bartly Herington on Waller's List, p. 5.
1791 Barthomu Hernton on Griffith's List, p. 6.
1792 Barthlmw Herinton on Brown's List, p. 8.
13. Harrison Co., KY tax lists.
1794 Bartw Herington, p. 4.
1795 Barthol Herrington, p. 6.
1796 Bartlet Herrington on list 2, p. 6.
14. Campbell Co., KY tax lists.
1797 Batholomew Herrington on list 1, p. 4.
1798 Bartholomew Harrington on list 1, p. 6.
15. Territory of Louisiana Record of Titles kept at St. Louis, Record Book A: 157.
16. Author unknown, "Genealogy of the Herrington Family".
Two typed pages found in the Bible of William Franklin Herrington (1861-1903)
believed from usage of "lived" and "lives" and dates of known dead, to have
been written ca. 1890-1892. Original in 1984 in possession of Barb Brooks, Portland, OR.
Photocopy in my possession.
17. Evidence that Bartholomew Herrington's daughter Mary is identical to Mary
who married John Wilson is:
a) 1850 Jefferson Co., MO census p. 451, Mary Wilson was age 71 and born in
PA. See #40. The age is consistent with the ages of Bartholomew's other children,
and in #16 as the first (eldest?) daughter listed. Bartholomew Herrington about
1779 lived in PA.
b) See #15. After 1797 Spanish Land Grants were given on the basis of 200
arpents for the claimant, 50 for each child, and 20 for each slave. Of Bartholomew's
8 children, Joshua was not yet born, so one of the other daughters had either
died or was married. John Wilson and wife Mary were married before arriving in
what became MO. See "c".
c) John Wilson and wife Mary's first two sons were Bartholomew H. Wilson born in
KY about 1798 and Samuel H. Wilson. They would have been named for the
paternal grandfather Bartholomew Herrington, and the maternal grandfather,
Samuel Wilson. [Bartholomew H. Willson died about 1838. Jefferson Co., MO
Probate Record "1834-1838, 1836-1845?" book, p. 34.]
His daughter Evaline/Emiline Gillman in 1880 stated listed that her father
was born in KY.-(1880 Jefferson Co., MO census, p. 177C.)
d) John Wilson and wife Mary named a son Isaac, a name not known to appear
among the Wilson family prior to that.
e) See #94 that "Mrs. Wilson" was a sister to Joshua Herrington.
18. Estimate based on his listing in #16 as the first son, and having a first
child born by 1803. [American State Papers, House of Representatives,
12th Congress, 2nd Session, Public Lands 2:440.]
19. John Hildebrand estate file, Jefferson Co., MO estate file #237, Jefferson
College, Hillsboro, MO.
20. Isaac Herrington estate file, Jefferson Co., MO estate file #241.
21. 1860 Jefferson Co., MO census, Jno. Herrington household, p. 523.
22. John Herrington, Sr. estate file, Jefferson Co., MO estate file #711.
23. Estimate based on birthplace in KY (son Louis in #24), and listing in #16
24. 1880 Jefferson Co., MO, Louis Herrington household, p. 160A.
25. Jacob Wickerham estate file, St. Louis Co., MO estate file number 598.
Samuel Herrington signs for right of wife Susanah Herrington, formerly Susanah Wickerham
Witness: Jonathan Hillibran, Hermon Dace
26. Samuel Herrington estate file, Jefferson Co., MO estate file #197.
27. Elias B. Herrington Bible, [son of William] original in possession in 1986 of
Bessie H. Kinard, McKinney, TX. Photocopy in my possession.
William Herrington listed as born 1788, died age 75. If you would like
a scan of this record, e-mail me.
28. Jefferson Co., MO Probate Record 1853-1864, E:479.
29. Jefferson Co., MO deed book B:286-287.
30. Jefferson Co., MO 1834-1839 Probate Book, p. 232.
William Herrington named as an heir of Catherine Connor.
31. 1880 Jefferson Co., MO census, Bartholomew Helterbrand household.
Mother born in KY.
32. Jefferson Co., MO Permanent Record of Deaths 1, unpaginated, arranged by
first letter of surname, H#164.
Age 84 years, 3 months, 17 days.
33. Mary Joan Boyer, Jefferson County, Missouri in Story and Pictures,
(Festus, MO: Tri-City Independent, 1956), p. 16.
34. Bartholomew Herrington will, Jefferson Co., MO estate file 235.
35. Jefferson Co., MO marriage records.
1825-1838 book, FHL microfilm 0,966,084, item 3.
p. 40 Johnathan Hilderbrand and Sarah Jones, 22 Mar. 1829
p. 44 Barlet Herrington-Eliza Hilderbrand.
p. 50 John Hilderbrand-Polly Herrington.
1838-1849 book, FHL microfilm 0,966,084, item 4.
p. 12 John A. Hensley-Elizabeth E. Herrington.
p. 108 John Herrington, Jr.-Miss Marth Baker.
p. 160 Samuel Herrington-Catharine Pence.
1849-1871 book, FHL microfilm 0,966,085, item 1.
p. 26 Samuel Herrington-Josephine Alexander.
p. 92 Orson Baker-Nancy E. Herrington.
p. 93-94 William Herse [Hearst]-Mary Herrington.
p. 196 Green Herrington-Jane Beeler.
p. 197 Levi McColloch-Petina Herrington.
p. 314 George Hearst-Virginia Frances Herrington.
p. 391 John B. Craft-Missouri Irene Herrington.
p. 500 Mr. Green Herrington-Rebecca Ann Short.
1871-1881 book, FHL microfilm 0,966,086, item 1.
p. 73 Mr. George W. Herrington-Miss Henrietta Kerkowski.
p. 209 Mr. N. S. Huskey-Mrs. Frances Hearst.
p. 297 Benjamin F. Herrington-Martha A. Ogle.
Book 1, FHL microfilm 0,966,085, item 2.
p. 327 Benjamin F. Herrington-Miss Rosa M. Power.
Book 3, FHL microfilm 0,966,087, item 1.
p. 40 Benjamin F. Herrington-Miss Millie D. Reynolds.
36. Silas Nathaniel Green Herrington, Family record written 29 July 1918 at
the request of Mrs. F. E. Stroud. Original in my possession.
Note that while Oscar is listed here as died 4 July 1888, see #115 that
lists the date as 4 July 1887.
37. Franklin Co., MO marriage records.
C:137, Silas Green Harrington-Abigal Frances Lewis.
E: 9, Elias S. Herrington-Jennie Mitchell.
38. Dave Hallemann, "Herrington Family Burial Ground" (MO: Hallemann, 2000).
39. Father's residence at that time.
40. Isaac Wilson household, 1850 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 451.
41. Letter from Ruth McColloch (1906- ) of Potosi, MO to Fredric Z. Saunders,
18 Apr. 1980, held by Saunders. Information was given to Ruth by
her aunt Rosetta "Rosie" McColloch (1890-1964) that Ruth believed was
from the family Bible (location unknown) of Perlina (Herrington) McColloch
that Perlina's father Joshua was the son of John Herrington and Nancy
42. John Herrington headstone, Pilgrims Rest Baptist Church Cemetery, Ware, Jefferson Co., MO.
43. 1850 Jefferson Co., MO, John Hensley household, p. 420.
44. 1860 Jefferson Co., MO, John Hensley household, p. 625.
45. James R. Herrington headstone, Herrington Family Burial Ground, Jefferson Co., MO.
Headstone found and photo courtesy of Jefferson County Missouri Historical Society.
46. Crawford Co., MO marriages, 1:227, James R. Herrington-Nancy E. Trask.
47. Information of Ruth McColloch (1980).
48. Lena Blanche (Stroud) Saunders, information in her hand writing added at the
bottom of record #36.
49. Silas Nathaniel Green Herrington obituary, The Houston Herald, Houston, Missouri,
Thursday, 10 April 1919 issue, p. 1, column 3.
50. Perlina McColloch headstone, Anthonies Mill Cem. Johnson Twp., Washington Co., MO
51. Geo. W. Herrington headstone, Harrison Cem., Kootenai Co., WA
52. Missouri Death Certificates 1910-1955, Missouri State Archives.
Silas Nathanial G. Herrington, 1919. [mother "Weidman"]
Virginia Francis Huskey, 1922. [mother "Wideman"]
Note: The certificate incorrectly gave her birth as "Dec. 23, 1849,
but correctly gave her age at death as 74 years, 11 months, 14 days.
See also Virginia F. Huskey headstone, Hillsboro Cem., Jefferson Co., MO
which lists her birth as 1847.
"Perina" (indexed as Pirina) McCulock, 1938. [Mother "Lucy Wideman"]
Lucille Stewart, 1947.
Hattie Gardner Herrington, 1934.
"Millie Dora Herrington", 1937 [indexed as Millie D.]
53. B. F. Herrington headstone, Glade Chapel Cemetery, Hillsboro, Jefferson Co., MO.
54. Letter from Lawson Herrington (1900-1985, son of Benjamin F. Herrington), to
Fredric Z. Saunders, undated, received 4 April 1980, held by Saunders.
55. 1900 Jefferson Co., MO, Emily Baker household, p. 249A.
56. Texas County, Missouri marriage records.
1:237 George W. Herrington-Cordelia Coats.
1:291 William F. Herrington-Mary E. Coats.
3:438 F. E. Stroud-Irene Herrington.
4:128 Perry A. Herrington-Nora E. Duke.
5:52 Silas G. Herrington, Jr.-Virda Fourt.
5:274 Lawson Flowers-Rosa Herrington.
5:364 W. A. Stewart-Lucille E. Herrington.
8:334 S. G. Herrington-Mrs. Mariby Flowers.
57. S. G. Herrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
58. Irene M. Craft headstone, Pine Lawn Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
59. George W. Herrington Bible, in possession of Margaret Herrington,
Techumseh, OK. Photocopy in my possession. If you would like a
scan of this, e-mail me.
60. George W. Herrington headstone, Tecumseh Mission Cem., Pottawatomie Co, OK.
61. Henry Laws Herringon death certificate #3655, Idaho 1948 death certificates.
62. Jushua Herrington household, 1860 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 662.
63. Joshua Herrington household, 1870 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 209.
64. History of Texas Supplemented with Biographical Mention of Many
Prominent Persons and Families of the State, Central Texas version,
(Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1896), pp. 254-255.
65. American Medical Association, Deceased American Physicians 1864-1970,
Joshua Lawson Herrington cards, images 2943-2944.
James Joshua Herrington card, images 2932-2933.
66. Joshua L. Herrington obituary, unknown newspaper, 14 Dec. 1939 issue, p. 36.
67. Mills Co., TX, Marriage Records 6, p. 171.
68. Latah Co., ID marriage record 6:207.
69. Latah Co., ID marriage record 1:52.
Albert McKee to Luella Rily 27 June 1889.
70. Kootenai Co, ID Book of Marriages 1:128.
71. William F. Herrington obituary, unknown newspaper, (in Spokane?), undated.
72. Perry A. Herrington marriage, Nez Perce Co., ID Book of Marriage License 5:231,
FHL microfilm 1,516,569.
73. Anna Chamberlain death certificate.
74. Shoshone Co., ID marriage licenses 2:37.
75. Abigail Frances Herrington Palmer obituary, unknown newspaper
(Houston Herald? [MO]), undated.
76. F. E. Stroud Bible family pages.
Note that page 4 has the right and bottom margins of the death page,
while page 5 has the top and left margins of the same page.
Transcript of F. E. Stroud Bible. Original was in possession of
F.E.Stroud’s daughter Mildred (Stroud) Blair of Sun City, AZ/Denver, Colo.
(deceased 2001). Publication date unknown.
The Bible was water damaged and thrown away, and only the family pages
were kept. Appears to have begun with marriage of O.B.Stroud and M.E.Moody,
with earlier records added at that time.
77. Jas. J. Herrington household, 1900 Latah Co., ID, p. 234A.
James has step-daughter Ida Crumley, age 11.
78. Dr. Perry A. Herrington headstone, Forest Cemetery, Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai Co., ID.
79. M. Irene Stroud headstone, Hillcrest Cemetery, Rocky Ford, Colorado.
80. 1910 Texas Co., MO, Almon Stewart household, p. 76A.
81. 1920 Texas Co., MO, William A. Stewart household, p. 107B.
82. Lucille E. Stewart headstone, Oakland Cemetery, Success, Texas Co., MO.
83. Rose E. Herrington Flowers headstone, Blackwell Cem., Blackwell, Kay Co., OK
84. Texas County, Missouri, Marriage Record 10, p. 383; Recorder of Deeds office, Houston.
85. Elias Samuel Herrington obituary (Rootsweb, Idaho-Payette board).
86. Joshua Herrington headstone, Herrington Cemetery, Pevely, Jefferson Co., MO.
Note: Although the headstone states 1883, see the death record (#32) and newspaper
notice (#87) which confirms the death as actually 1884.
87. Charlotte Maness, Jefferson Democrat, Hillsboro, MO, 8 Oct. 1884 issue,
4 Mar. 2007 post to Rootsweb, Jefferson County, MO mail list.
88. Danske Dandridge, American Prisoners of the Revolution, (Charlottesville, VA:
Michie Co., 1911), p. 466 [image 475/521].
89. William Harrington headstone, Harrington Cemetery, Jefferson Co., MO.
90. Joshua Lawson Herrington death certificate, Texas Death Certificates 1939 Delayed,
#72076. [mother Lucinda Wideman]
91. Joshua Herrington headstone, Oakview Cemetery, Mullin, Mills Co., TX.
92. A. Frances Palmer headstone, Harper Cemetery, Harper, Harper Co., KS.
93. Dr. J. J. Herrington headstone, Forest Cemetery, Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai Co., ID.
94. Dr. William West, [Medical Journal, 1852-18??], index and page 291, (Jefferson Co., MO).
Jefferson College History Center, De Soto, MO. Donated by Mrs. C. E. Fallet.
[Index transcription online].
Index lists "Wilson, Mrs. (Joshua Herington's sister) 291." Page 291 lists "1859
Apr. 23 Mrs. Willson (old lady)" and debits of $1.25.
95. See #94 when she was living as of April 23, 1859. She is not found in the 1860
96. Thomas E. Herrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
Age 2 Y, 2 M, 1 D.
97. John .Herrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
Age 1 M 21 D.
98. Lidia May Harrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
99. Oscar Lee Harrington headstone, Union Cem., Houston, Texas Co., MO.
While this lists the date as 24 July 1888, see #36 that lists it as
4 July 1888, and #115 that lists it as 4 July 1887.
100. Beaverhead County, MT, Death Certificate 1106, "Gene" Herrington certificate.
Note: This should be "Green" Herrington.
101. Missouri State Archives
Supreme Court case files
BRINLEY vs. FORSYTHE
Box 213, case #9, term 1873, 45B/1/1
The entire case is 97 pages (copy in my possession).
Transcript of parts at: Descendants of Swope/Hoke/Brinley, pp. 30-34.
Filed 20 January 1876
The called Joshua Herrington who stated that he was 64 years old,
John Herrington was his father. My father said that he came here in this part of
Missouri in September 1799 and that he came here from Kentucky, when he first
settled here he lived at a place near Pevely, some 5 or 6 miles from the land
in controversy. In 1811 he left here and moved to Arkansas. He never resided
on the land in controversy as far as I know. I never heard from him or any of
the family, or from any one else that he ever resided on the this land in
controversy. I was born at the old Capt. Waters place on the river south of
the mouth of Little Rock Creek my father father lived for a while at that place,
as I am informed. It is below the Dorian Claim, south of it. I understood from
my Father that he stayed 7 or 8 years in Arkansas when he went there in 1811.
I never knew any John Herrington but my father. When he came back here he remained
in this county till his death in March 1864. From 1822 or 1823 he lived on
Belews Creek up to his death, that place is 16 or 17 miles from the Dorian survey
at the mouth of Little Rock Creek. I knew Jonathan Hildebrand he was my
uncle by marriage. He married my Father's sister. I have heard father
say that Uncle Jonathan attended to some business for him while he was away in
Arkansas, that he left him as his agent. He was a man of some business tact &
could read & write. My father could not write his
name never wrote
his name. Jonathan Hildebrand lived in this county ever since I could recollect.
He died here some years ago a very old man. My father's name was Herrington sometimes
spelled Harrington just as Hildebrand was some times spelled Heldebrand &
sometimes Hillibrand. I never heard my father claim the land in controversy
and never heard that he had any claim to it. Maj. Cavan came to me in June
1875 and asked me to give him a deed for survey 1303 & I did as I did not
know that I had any title to it & I don't know it now.
102. Jefferson Co., MO Deed Book B, pp. 332-334.
Jonathan Hildebrand and wife Jane deed to Jabez Warner, 25 Nov. 1826.
103. George W. Herrington death certificate, Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.
104. James Joshua Herrington death certificate, Idaho Department of Health and Welfare.
105. Registre d'Arpentage, Bartolome Herrington.
106. Clarence E. Carter, The Territorial Papers of the United States, Volume XIII,
The Territory of Louisiana-Missouri, 1803-1806, (Washington, D. C.: Governement
Printing Office, 1948), p. 343.
107. Henry L. Herrington headstone, Fairview Cem., Rockford, Spokane Co., WA.
108. John Herrington headstone, Herrington Family Burial Ground, Jefferson Co., MO.
Headstone found and photo courtesy of Jefferson County Missouri Historical Society.
109. Virginia F. Huskey headstone, Hillsboro Cem., Jefferson Co., MO.
110. William F. Herrington headstone, Fairmount Memorial Park, Spokane,
Spokane Co., WA
111. Missouri State Archives, St. Louis County, Record/Folder 62, Box 9, Reel C 50414,
Elizabeth Brindley by her father and next friend Matthias Brindley vs. John Herrington
and Nancy Herrington his wife for slander.
District of St. Louis, 13 June 1808 "Elizabeth Brindley who is under the age of twenty
one years, by her father & next friend Matthias Brindly, complains of John Herrington &
Nancy Herrinton his wife who was formerly Nancy Smirls....did on the twenty fifth of February
eighteen hundred & eight at the district aforesaid & in the presence & hearing of many of
the good citizens of this territory, falsely, maliciously & wickedly, the following
false, feigned & scandalous words of and concerning the said Elizabeth Brindely, in the
English language with a loud voice proclaim & publish to wit Betsey Brindley (meaning the
said Elizabeth) hath had several children & made way with or destroyed them (meaning
that she the said Elizabeth had feloniously committed murder by killing children which
she had some) & I (meaning the said Nancy Smirl now Nancy Herrington) can prove it....
"and that Polly Patton, Betsey McDaniel and her (the said Nancy Herrington's) sister
would swear it...." In her plea she asked for $1000 damages.
In a deposition on 20 August 1808 Henry Cook said "that on the Eighth or ninth day of
February last past or near that time he was at Mr. Smirlses & Nancy Herington told
him this deponant that Miss Elizabeth Brindly had lost one or two Little ones as she
heard or understood this deponant further saith that he askit who told her so she this
informant said Nancy Lunceford told it to Isaac Herington's wife & she told it to her
sister Jinney Herington & she told it Either to her this informant or to her sister
Betcy Smurls this informant don't Recollect which."
On 2 December 1808 arbitrators of John Coons, John Conner, and James Rankin met at
the home of Benj. Johnson, Esqr. in Joachim Township, District of St. Louis. Both
parties appeared and they found for the plaintiff $500 in damages
112. Henry L. Herrington and Mrs. L. A. Snelson marriage license, Thurston Co., WA
marriage returns, Certificate 13146.
113. Elias Samuel Herringon death certificate #124494, Idaho 1941 death certificates.
114. Moutain View Cemetery, search form.
Enter Anna Chamberlain or James Chamberlain
115. Texas Co., MO, Permanent Record Deaths 1, #382, Oscar L. Herrington.
While #36 lists the date as 4 July 1888, and #99 lists it as
24 July 1888, this would appear to be a contemporary record
and more likely accurate in listing the date as 4 July 1887,
with an age of 1 year, 1 month, 8 days.
116. Christ Lutheran Church, York Co., PA, p. 57.
First Column [parents]
Isaac Herrington s[ein] fr[au] Jean beide Engl.
[Isaac Herrington his wife Jean (Jane) both English]
Second Column [name, birth and baptismal dates]
geb[oren] d[er] 19 Decmbr: 1751 [born the 19 December 1751]
get[auft] d[er] 1 Novmbr: [baptized 1 November (1752)]
Third column [sponsors]
his parents himself
117. Comanche County, TX, Marriage Records 1, p. 136.
118. Heirs of Joshua Herrington for Partition of Land, 1888.
Page created by: email@example.com
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 21 Feb. 2023