Johann Henrich Wäÿdmann as he signed his name arrived 30 Nov. 1750 on
the Sandwich at Philadelphia.1 He was in Granville Co., NC by 1759 until
1777; in Wilkes Co., GA by 1778; ca. 1783 to Abbeville Dist., SC (now
McCormick Co., SC).2 He died between 25 June 1803 when his will was written and
19 Nov. 1806 when there was a charge on his estate for making a coffin.4
By tradition Henry had two wives, the first being Mary Obendorf who died
on the trip from Germany in 1761 (sic) and was buried on the Atlantic Ocean,
and the second being Mary Taloon/Teulon of the French Colony at Bordeaux,
(now) McCormick Co., SC. By tradition only Adam was by the first wife, and
the other children by the second wife.
The traditions of his marriages do not fit the known facts, in that he
arrived 11 years earlier than when his first wife was supposed to have died
and his son Adam was to have been born. Tradition also had him settling
immediately in SC. As he did not move from NC until about 1777 after most
of his children were born, it is doubtful he married a TEULON/TALOON from SC.
His wife in 1785 was named Mary, and she was living as of 31 Dec. 1790.5 She
was probably deceased before the 1800 census.6
Children of Henry WIDEMAN:
1. Adam WIDEMAN4,11 b. ca. 1758 (1761 according to cemetery inscription);
m. Millie HARRIS7 ca. 1785; d. 1842 Abbeville Co., SC, bur.
Wideman-Harris-Wilks Cem., McCormick Co., SC8
2. Francis WIDEMAN4,11 b. ca. 1760 Granville Co., NC; wife's name unknown;9
had no children that survived as his brothers and sisters were
his heirs;11 d. before 1826 Jefferson Co., MO10
3. Thomas WIDEMAN4,11 b. 22 Dec. 1762 Granville Co., NC;2 m.1. ?;2 m.2. -?-2
COX; m.3. -?-;2 died between 14 Jan.2 and 13 Oct. 1840 Jackson Co.,
4. Lucy WIDEMAN4,11 b. ca. 1764 Granville Co., NC; m. John12 PRUITT4,11,12; d. MO
(had son James DAVIS,4 a free Negro, prior to marriage to PRUITT)
5. Elizabeth WIDEMAN4,11 b. ca. 1766 Granville Co., NC; m.1. James COUCH;4
m.2. Elijah13 BENTON4,11,13; d. MO
6. Leonard WIDEMAN4,11 b. 4 July 1768,14 Granville Co., NC; m. Savil15 HANVEY16;
d. 6 Oct. 1831, bur. Wideman Cem., McCormick Co., SC14
7. John WIDEMAN4,11 b. ca. 1770; m. Polly;17 d. between 4 June17 and
17 Sep. 1822 Jefferson Co., MO18
8. Sarah "Sally" WIDEMAN4,11 b. ca. 1772 Granville Co., NC; m. Charles19
PRUITT4,11; d. MO
9. Clarissa WIDEMAN4,11 b. ca. 1774,21 Granville Co., NC21; m. John20 WILSON11;
living 1850 Jefferson Co., MO21
10. Mark WIDEMAN4,11 b. ca. 1776;22 d. before 1826 Jefferson Co., MO23
11. Jacob WIDEMAN4,11 b. ca. 1778; m. Sarah;25 d. between 1 June 1840,24 and
11 Nov. 1842 Jefferson Co., MO25
Leonard WIDEMAN and Savil HANVEY had children, all born Abbeville
1. Francis WIDEMAN15 b. ca. 1789;26 m. Nancy;26 d. between 9 Sep. 1852,27 and
20 Nov. 1858 Jefferson Co., MO28
2. Henry WIDEMAN15 b. July 1792;29 m. Kezia HELLEN 30 Dec. 1837;30
d. 19 July 1839, bur. Coats Cem., Sumter Co., AL29
3. Leonard WIDEMAN15 b. 1 Apr. 1796;32 m. Sarah Carson PATTERSON 24 Dec. 1818;33
d. 10 Dec. 1847 SC32
4. Katherine WIDEMAN15 b. ca. 1797;34 m. Meredith WIDEMAN;15 living 1858
Jefferson Co., MO35
5. Samuel WIDEMAN15 b. ca. 1798; living 1837,15
6. Susannah "Sooky" WIDEMAN;15 b. ca. 1803;57 m. Joseph MOSELY15
23 Dec. 1818;31 living 1850.57
7. Lucy WIDEMAN;15 b. ca. 1806;36 m. Joseph A. M. DEVALL15; living 1870.37
8. Edward WIDEMAN15 b. 13 Feb. 1809;38 m.1. Betsey FARRAR;38 m.2. -?- -?-;38
m.3. Adeline ELKINS 31 Jan. 1844;39 d. 28 Nov. 1881 Sumter Co., AL38
Francis WIDEMAN and Nancy had children:
1. James Leonard WIDEMAN40,41 b. ca. 1812,41 Abbeville Dist., SC; m.
Jemima40,41,43,44 HERRINGTON43,44; living 1875 Jefferson Co., MO45
2. Francis Wesley46 WIDEMAN b. ca. 1814 Abbeville Dist., SC; m. Mary46
Ann46 WHITE;47 d. between 26 Oct. and 15 Nov. 1847 Jefferson Co., MO46
3. Lucinda WIDEMAN40 b. 20 June 1817,49 Abbeville Dist., SC; m. Joshua
HERRINGTON;48 d. 1 Jan. 1874, bur. Herrington Cem., Jefferson Co., MO49
4. Matilda WIDEMAN40 b. ca. 1819 Abbeville Dist., SC;50 m.1. Justus
GAMBLE 27 Feb. 1834;51 m.2. Israel LEE 15 Mar. 1855;52 living 1870
Jefferson Co., MO53
5. Henry D. WIDEMAN40 b. 1824,55 Jefferson Co., MO;56 m. Mary28 Ann SULLENS
20 Mar. 1845;54 d. 1894; bur. Calvey Bapt. Cem., Franklin Co., MO55
1. Ralph Beaver Strassburger and William John Hinke, Pennsylvania German
Pioneers: A Publication of the Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of
Philadelphia from 1727 to 1808, Volume II, (Norristown, Pennsylvania:
Pennsylvania German Society, p. 525, first column, name 3.
2. Thomas Wideman, Revolutionary War Declaration, Jackson Co., AR,
County Court Record 1837-1843, pp. 75-79.
3. Jackson Co., AR, Probate Court Record 2, p. 84.
4. Henry Wideman estate file, Abbeville County, SC, Box 98, Pack 2410.
5. Elbert Co., GA Deed Book A, p. 2.
6. Henry Wideman household, 1800 Abbeville District, SC, p. 31.
7. Harvey Toliver Cook, The Hard Labor Section, (Greenville, SC:
n.p., 1923), p. 84 [image 48].
8. Adam Wideman headstone, Wideman-Harris-Wilks Cem., McCormick Co., SC
9. American State Papers, House of Representatives, 12th Congress, 2nd Session,
Public Lands 2:440.
10. Francis Wideman administration bond, Estate #574, Jefferson Co., MO
Administration Bonds 1828-1838, p. 22.
11. Francis Wideman Probate file, Jefferson Co., MO probate file #574.
Heirs are listed as Adam Wideman, Leonard Wideman, John Wideman, Thomas Wideman,
Mark Wideman, Jacob Wideman, Lucy Pruet, Elizabeth Benton, Sally Pruet, Clary Wilson.
12. St. Louis Genealogical Society, St. Louis and St. Louis County, Missouri
Probate Records 1804-1849 (St. Louis, MO: St. Louis Genealogical Society, 1985).
John Pruet will, citing Will Book A:267-268.
Written 24 Sep. 1812; recorded 13 Sep. 1826
Wife Lucy Prutt, Nephew Jacob Bruer, niece Lucy Pruet, James Davis
13. American State Papers, House of Representatives, 12th Congress, 2nd Session,
Public Lands 2:439.
14. Leonard Wideman headstone, Wideman Cem., McCormick Co., SC
15. Leonard Wideman estate file, Abbeville County, SC, Box 95, Pack 2342.
16. Family tree drawn at 1923 SC reunion by descendants.
17. Jefferson Co., MO, Deed Record B, pp. 15-19.
18. John Wideman account, Jefferson Co., MO, Probate Book, 1822-1838, p. 17.
19. American State Papers, House of Representatives, 12th Congress, 2nd Session,
Public Lands 2, p. 532 and p. 592.
On 6 Dec. 1811 the Board deinted a claim for Charles Pruit's heirs on the
Merrimack. On 10 June 1811 Sarah Pruitt received 400 arpents on the Negro
Fork of Merrkmack.
20. Jefferon Co., MO Deed Book E, pp. 394-395.
21. Margaret Williams household, 1850 Jefferson Co., MO census, p. 483A.
22. Mark Wideman household, 1800 Abbeville District, SC, p. 31.
Estimate from age 16-26.
23. Mark Wideman administration bond, Jefferson Co., MO, Administration
Bonds 1828-1838, p. 8.
24. Jacob Wideman, Sr. household, 1840 JEfferson Co., MO, p. 102.
25. Jefferson Co., MO, Probate Record 1834-1845, p. 151.
26. Francis Wideman household, 1850 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 417B.
27. Jefferson Co., MO, Deed Record L, pp. 196-197, and p. 601.
On the first deed Francis Wideman sold to Henry D. Wideman real and personal property.
The second instrument signed by Henry D. Wideman stated that Francis was to have
use of all the property during his natural life.
28. Jefferson Co., MO, Deed Book P, pp. 64-66.
Henry sold land that included land in L:196-197 above that was to belong to
Francis during his lifetime.
29. Henry Wideman inscription, Coats Cem., Gaston, Sumter Co., AL.
30. Greene Co., AL, Marriage Record B, p. 190.
31. "A Register of Marriages Celebrated & Solemnized by Moses Waddel in South
Carolina and Georgia", p. 12.
32. Leonard Wideman inscription, Patterson-Wideman-Lyon Cem., McCormick Co., SC.
33. Sarah Patterson Wideman tombstone, Patterson-Wideman-Lyon Cem., McCormick Co., SC.
34. Meredith Wideman household, 1850 Jefferson Co., MO census, p. 417A.
35. Jefferson Co., MO Probate Record 1853-1864, p. 186.
36. I. M. Devall household, 1850 Itawamba Co., MS census, p. 330B.
37. Joseph Davall household, 1870 Itawamba Co., MS census, p. 401A.
38. Darrell Lee Wideman, The Wideman Family in America, A Genealogical
Record (Spring Valley, CA: D. L. Wideman, 1985), p. 114.
39. Sumter Co., AL, Marriage Record White 1, p. 277.
40. History of Texas Supplemented with Biographical Mention of Many
Prominent Persons and Families of the State, Central Texas version,
(Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company, 1896), pp. 254-255.
41. James L. Wideman household, 1850 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 420A.
42. J. L. Wideman household, 1860 Jefferson Co., MO, p. 663.
43. Isaac Herrington account, Jefferson Co., MO, Probate Book, 1822-1838, p. 91.
44. Francis I. Wideman death certificate, Missouri State Archives.
45. Jefferson Co., MO, Warranty Deed Record 7, p. 369.
46. Francis W. Wideman Probate file, Jefferson Co., MO probate file #563.
47. C. E. Wideman Death Certificate #4482, Texas Death Certificates 1940,
48. Missouri Death Certificates 1910-1955, Missouri State Archives.
Silas Nathanial G. Herrington, 1919.
Virginia Francis Huskey, 1922.
"Perina" (indexed as Pirina) McCulock, 1938.
49. Dave Hallemann, "Herrington Family Burial Ground" (MO: Hallemann, 2000).
50. Matilda Lee household, 1860 Jefferson Co., MO census, p. 669.
51. Jefferson Co., MO, Commissions and Marriages 1826-1838, p. 84.
52. Jefferson Co., MO, Marriage Record Spet. 1849 to March 1871, p. 83.
53. Matilda Lee household, 1870 Jefferson Co., MO census, p. 219B.
Jefferson Co., MO
54. Franklin Co., MO, Marriage Record B, p. 18.
55. Henry Wideman Headstone, Calvey Baptist Church Cemetery, Franklin Co., MO
56. Henry D. Wideman household, 1850 Jefferson Co., MO census, p. 417B.
57. Susan Moseley household, 1850 Abbeville Dist., SC census, p. 144B.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 21 Oct. 2020