Little is known of Nicholas Greenberry in England. He was found in
English records when on 15? June 1667 there was a "Note by Walter
Cowdry, keeper of Newgate, of seven prisoners, ordered to be
transported by their own consent, and of Nich. Greenberry, left
to Lord Chief Justice Kelynge."
Later in June there was the "Petition of Nicholas Greenberry to the King,
for reprieve or release from prison; is committed for want of sureties,
on suspicion only of burglary, yet is to be tried for his life at the
assizes, at Brentwood, Essex. Desires to serve under Lord Belasye at
Tangiers, or elsewhere beyond seas."
Annexed to that document was a "Declaration by John Shadwell, clerk of
Newgate, that Greenberry was committed August 31, 1666, for want of
security, and afterwards impeached before Lord Chief Justice Kelynge
for breaking into a dwelling house."13
When and under what conditions he was realased are not known, but in
1669 there was a reward of 20 pounds offered for the apprehension of
him and others.14
On 9 July 1674 Capt. William Wheatly, master claimed rights due for
transportaion of 43 passengers on board the Constant Friendship. Among
the passengers were Mr. Greenberry, his wife & two children.12
Nicholas GREENBERRY died 17 Dec. 1697 in Anne Arundel Co., MD "age 70."1
He married Ann who died 27 Apr. 1698 "age 50" Anne Arundel Co., MD.1 His will was
written on 5 Nov. 1697 and proved on 5 March 1697/8.2
1. Charles2,5 GREENBERRY b. 9 Feb. 1672/311 England;12 m. Rachel STIMSON;4 d.
19 Nov. 1713;3 bur. Westminster Parish, Anne Arundel Co., MD3
2. Katherine2,5 GREENBERRY b. say 1674 England;12 m.1. Henry RIDGELY;5,6 m.2.
John HOWARD;7 d. between 9 Oct. 17028 and 29 Dec. 17037 Anne Arundel Co., MD
3. Ann2,5 GREENBERRY b. say 1676 Anne Arundel Co., MD;12 m. John HAMMOND;2
d. 23 Jan. 1714  Anne Arundel Co., MD;3 bur. Westminster Parish,
Anne Arundel Co., MD3
4. Elizabeth2,5 GREENBERRY b. 23 Sep. 16789 Anne Arundel Co., MD;12 m.
Robert GOLDSBOROUGH5,9 2 Sep. 1697;9 d. 2 Mar. 171810 9; buried Ashby Cem.,10
Easton, Talbot Co., MD
Look at information on DESCENDANTS OF THOMAS GREENBERRY for what MAY
be the ancestry of Nicholas GREENBERRY.
1. St. Anne's Episcopal Church, Annapolis, MD, photographs of inscriptions.
2. Nicholas Greenbury will, MD wills 7:314-315 [image 319/412].
3. St. Margaret's Westminster Parish records, pp. 134-135.
p. 134 Charles Greenbeery died 19 Nov. 1713
p. 135 Mrs. Anna Hammond died 23 Jan. 1714
4. Anne Arundel Co., MD land records IH3:2-4, FHL microfilm 0,013,208.
5. Anne Arundel Co., MD land records SY1:212-215, FHL microfilm 0,013,211.
6. Henry Ridgley Junr. will, MD wills, 6:371-373 [image 375/423].
7. John Howard will, MD wills 11:469-472 [image 487/501].
8. Baltimore Co., MD land records HW2:254-256, FHL microfilm 0,013,325.
9. Chapman Publishing Company, Portrait and Biographical Record of the
Eastern Shore of Maryland, (New York and Chicago: by author, 1898), 894. [image 860 of 894]
10. Upper Shore Genealogical Society of Maryland, Tombstones of Talbot
County, Maryland, (Easton, MD: by author, 1993), 4:96.
11. Luther W. Welsh, Genealogy of the Welsh and Hyatt Families of Maryland
and Their Kin, (Independence, MO: Lambert Moon Printing Co., 1928),
175. Date allegedly taken from family Bible of Col. Greenberry.
12. Maryland Patent Liber 18, p. 160 [image 102 of 246].
The passengers were Joseph Story, Thomson Eard, Mary Olliver, Davie Stinderson,
Thomas Stanbriggs, William Wyat, Eliz: Wakefoild, Michaell Pearson, Eliz:
Dunn, John Richardson, Robert East, William Evans, Jane Todd, Elinor Woolman,
Isaac Drewuy, Francis Coxon, George Shepheard, Robert Fendell, Eliz:
Mannom, Tho Dodden, John Griffen, Susanna Savin, Sarah Jones, Ann Stapleton,
Wm Richardson, Hugh Adley, Robert Gaskinn, Richard Bissey, Charles Musgrove,
John Elford, Mr. Greenberry his wife & two Children, Roger Bowder, Wm
Singleton, Jonas Mattock, Bartholomew Acker, William Potter, Agatha Sawyer,
Deborah Bunn, Edward Adams, and Marcy Allen.
13. Mary An Everett Green, Editor, Calendar of State Papers, Domestic Series,
of the Reign of Charles II. 1667 Preserved in Her Majesty's Public Record Office,
(London: Longmans, Green Reader, and Dyer, 1866), p. 192.
14. The London Gazette, Number 418, 15 to 18 November 1669, pp. 1 and 2
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 18 Sep. 2021