If you are a male GIBBS descended from this family, to date no one has DNA tested
from this line. If you are interested in testing, and in knowing how DNA may
help identify earlier generations, please contact me.
Giles (Jiles) GIBBS was born about 17552-1768.3 He is first found in Norfolk
Co., Virginia tax lists for 1784 and 1785.3 His name and the fact that he
named a son Elisha, would suggest that he may be related to a line of
men named Giles GIBBS and Elisha GIBBS in New England, but any connection
is unproved at this time. He moved to Currituck Co., NC where he died
between 16 Feb.18 and 20 Apr. 1801.1 He married Sarah "Sally" FENTON4 who
was born about 1770. They had children:
1. Elisha GIBBS1 b. 12 Dec. 17966 Currituck Co.23; m.1. Elenor "Ellen" GAITHER;7,25
m.2. H.9 Amanda9,20 Mason20 2 Mar. 1863;20 d. 16 Dec. 1869 Davie Co., NC;6
buried Old Joppa Cem., Davie Co., NC6
2. Sarah GIBBS1 b. 17902-1798;1 living 18105
After the death of Giles GIBBS, his widow Sarah secondly married Edward
WALKER8 by 1803.27 He died in Currituck County between 4 May 1811,5
and 26 Nov. 1811.29
Edward WALKER and Sarah FENTON had one child:
1. Polly WALKER5,28 b. ca. 1804;28
Biographical information on Elisha Gibbs.
Elisha GIBBS and Elenor "Ellen" GAITHER had children:
1. Mary A. GIBBS9 b. 10 Aug. 183210 Davie Co., NC; m. James F. HOSKINS9
11 Apr. 1854;11 d. 4 May 190110 Davie Co., NC; buried Smith Grove Church
2. Sarah Emma26 GIBBS9 b. 15 Sep. 183612 Davie Co., NC; m.1 Joseph B. JONES
2 Dec. 1856;22 m.2 William Presley26 HAINS/HANES9 8 May 1867;24 d. 28 Apr. 188112
Davie Co., NC
3. Laura GIBBS13 b. 183813-184014 Davie Co., NC; died 1846-1848;13 Davie Co., NC
4. William Kelly GIBBS9 b. 2919/3015 Nov. 1847;15 or 1848g17,19 Davie Co., NC;
m. Pattie MEADOR;16,19 13 June 1874;21 d. 12 June 1926 Wesley Long Hospital,
Greensboro, Guilford Co., NC;15 bur. Salem United Methodist Church Cem.,
Rockingham Co., NC15,19
1. Joiles Gibbs will, Currituck Co., NC wills 2:180, FHL microfilm 0,018,752.
2. 1800 Currituck Co., NC census, Jiles Gibbs household, p. 146.
3. 1784 Norfolk Co., VA tax list 6 taken by Thomas Brown, p. 43.
1785 Norfolk Co., VA tax list from the south side of the Western Branch,
New Mill Creek and the town of Portsmouth taken by William King, p. 11.
4. Currituck Co., NC deeds 7:223-224.
5. Edward Walker will, Currituck Co., NC wills 3:10, FHL microfilm 18753.
6. Elisha Gibbs headstone, Old Joppa Cemetery, Mocksville, Davie Co., NC.
7. Davie Co., NC deeds 3:82-83.
8. Currituck Co., NC deeds 10:8.
Edward leased land that belonged to Giles Gibbs, deceased, until Elisha Gibbs
was age 21.
9. Elisha Gibbs loose estate papers, NC State Archives, FHL microfilm 1941316.
10. Mary A. (Gibbs) Hoskins headstone, Smith Grove Methodist Church Cem., Davie Co., NC
11. Davie Co., NC Marriage Returns 1851-1867, page 16, FHL microfilm 0,572,606.
12. Mrs. Sallie E. Hanes obituary, 5 May 1881 issue of "Davie Times"
13. Davie Co., NC school records
1846 Mary Gibbs, Sarah Gibbs, Laura Gibbs
1848 Mary Gibbs, Sarah Gibbs
As Laura was listed in 1846, but not 1848, she died during that time.
14. 1840 Davie Co., NC census, Elisha Gibbs household, p. 197.
Includes 1 female 5-10 [Mary] and 2 females under 5 [Sarah and Laura].
15. William Kelly Gibbs death certificate, Vol. 1034:418, FHL microfilm 1894040.
16. Pattie Meador Gibbs death certificate, Vol. 1050:424, FHL microfilm 1894042.
17. 1900 Rockingham Co., NC census, William K. Gibbs household.
18. Currituck Co., NC deeds 3:131.
19. William Kelly Gibbs headstone, Salem United Methodist Church Cem., Reidsvie, Rockingham Co., NC
20. Rowan County, NC loose marriage bonds, roughly alphabetical by groom, FHL microfilm 500952.
Elisha Gibbs- Amanda Mason; J. W. Jones bondsman
21. Rockingham Co., NC Marriage Book 1867-1896.
22. Davie Co., NC Marriage Returns 1851-1867, page 28, FHL microfilm 0,572,606.
23. 1850 Davie Co., NC, p. 405, Elisha Gibbs household, p. 405A.
24. Davie Co., NC Marriage Returns 1851-1867, page 100, FHL microfilm 0,572,606.
25. Gazaaway Gaither (1848) file, Davie Co., NC loose estates.
List of heirs. Examine entire file for additional information.
26. Emma Hanes Carter death certificate, 29 January 1953, North Carolina
Death Records 1953, Vol. 3A, certificate 3236.
27. Currituck County, NC guardian docket 1772-1827.
Feb. 1803 Sarah Gibbes and Elisha Gibbs orphans of
Giles Gibbs have Edward Walker as guardian.
28. Currituck Co., NC Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions Minutes, 1815-1821
p. 74, 25 Feb. 1817 James Chaplin appointed guardian to Polly Walker, orphan
of Edward Walker, deceased.
[That a guardian was appointed, she was under age 14.]
p. 160, 26 May 1818 Nathan Robinson appointed guardian to Polly Walker
orphan of Edward Walker, deceased, agreeable to her own choice in room of Jas. Chaplin.
[To choose her own guardian indicates she was at least age 14.]
29. Currituck Co., NC Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions Minutes, 1807-1815, p. 111.
Page created by: email@example.com
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 22 Sep. 2020