Thomas Lucas who died in 1722 in Prince George's County is commonly listed as having
married Dorothy Letchworth, daughter of Thomas. AnnaBelle Kemp in her book Lucas Genealogy
stated that Thomas Lucas married first Dorothy -?- and secondly Dorothy Letchworth. As a
source she cited "Land Off Rec Acct 5 folio 295 p. 409." There is no such series called
"Land Office Record Accounts." This is probably meant to be Land Office Patents 5, p. 409 [image 230 of 328].
Hugh Stanley entered two rights, one being for George Letchworth was transported in 1660.
Why a transportation of George Letchworth would be cited to show that Thomas Letchworth
had a daughter Dorothy who married Thomas Lucas is unclear.
Thomas Lucas in his will made bequests of one shilling to his son Thomas, daughter Mary Scott
wife of William Scott, son Charles Lucas, and daughter Elizabeth wife of George Moor. Later,
he named his wife Dorothy, and at her death his personal estate was to be divided "between all
my children had by my said Wife as Viz; Susanna Lucas, Sarah Lucas, Jane Lucas, John Lucas,
Mary Lucas, James Lucas, Samuel Lucas, and Elizabeth Lucas."
The implication is that (as Kemp listed) the first four children were by a first wife, and that
only the last eight as stated were children of his present wife Dorothy. Church records of
St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, Queen Anne's Parish, Prince George's County list that Charles
was the son of Thomas Lucas and wife Dorythy was born 20 April 1692. That would suggest that
Thomas Lucas's first wife was also named Dorothy.
William Scott and wife Mary [Lucas] had a first child (Thomas) recorded at the same church as
born 14 February 1702. Assuming Mary was at least about 16, would mean she was born about 1686.
Thomas Lucas by his [second wife] Dorothy had a child Elizabeth who was born about 1719, the
birth of Samuel being listed as September 1717 in Thomas's will. That would make the birth of
Mary and that of Elizabeth at least 33 years apart, supporting that Thomas had two wives.
Thomas Letchworth, the alleged father of the second wife of Thomas Lucas died by 1668. See two
different records at the above Early Marland Settlers link showing that. That would mean any
child Dorothy at the latest could have been born about 1669, making her about 30 when she
married Thomas Lucas, and 50 years old when Thomas Lucas's youngest child was born.
IF Thomas Letchworth had a daughter Dorothy, it would be more likely that she was the first wife
of Thomas Lucas, and married him by about 1685. At present, evidence of the surnames of either
wife of Thomas Lucas, Sr., has not been found.
Thomas LUCAS and first wife Dorothy -?- had children:
1. Thomas LUCAS1 b. say 1684;5 m. Anne HUNGERFORD;12 d. 31 May to 24 June 1756
Prince George's Co., MD2
2. Mary LUCAS;1 b. about 1686;6 m. William SCOTT;1 living 1753;6
3. Charles LUCAS1 b. 20 April 1692;3 m. Elizabeth EVANS 20 Nov. 1718;3
d. 18 June 1740 to 28 May 1741 Prince George's Co., MD7,9
4. Elizabeth LUCAS1 b. say 1697;8 m. George MOORE1
Thomas's first wife Dorothy died by about 1702, at about which time he married his second
wife Dorothy. His second wife Dorothy was living as of 12 October 1743 when she gave a gift
of a cow, calf, and heifer to her grandson Alexander Lucas.10
Thomas LUCAS and second wife Dorothy -?- had children:
1. Susannah LUCAS1 b. 3 10ber [Dec.] 1703;3 d. after 1721;1
2. Sarah LUCAS1 b. 18 9ber [Nov.] 1705;3 d. after 1721;1
3. Jane LUCAS1 b. 4 7ber [Sep.] 1707;3 d. after 1721;1
4. John LUCAS1 b. 20 June 1709;1 d. after 1733;11
5. Mary LUCAS1 b. 12 7ber [Sep.] 1712;3 d. after 1721;1
6. James LUCAS1 b. 27 Feb. 1712/3;1,3 d. after 1769;19
7. Samuel LUCAS1 b. Sep. 1717;1 d. after 1733;11
8. Elizabeth LUCAS1 b. ca. 1719;4 d. after 1721;1
Thomas LUCAS [Jr.] married Anne HUNGERFORD, and they had children:
1. Thomas LUCAS2 b. 30 Mar. 1712;3 m.1 Mary;18
2. William LUCAS b. 15 Mar. 1713/4;3 m. Mary;13 d. 1784 Anne Arundel Co., MD
3. Sarah LUCAS2 b. [blank] 1715;3 m. Nathan PEDDYCOART;2 d. 13 Nov. 1790
bur. Hope, Forsth Co., NC16
4. Basel LUCAS2 b. 24 Dec. 1718; m. Margaret BELT; Dec. 1743; d. ca. 1779
Baltimore Co., MD15
5. Margaret LUCAS2 b. ca. 1721; m. Ninian HAMILTON2
6. Charles LUCAS b. 1 Mar. 1726;17 d. before 17562
7. Barton LUCAS2 b. 29 Jan. 1729/30;17 m. 1. -?- -?-; m.2. Pricilla SPRIGG
20 Nov. 1762; d. 8 April 1784 to 16 May 1785, Prince George's Co., MD14
1. Thomas Lucas will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:118.
2. Thomas Lucas will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:183-184.
3. Register [transcribed] of St. Barnabas Episcopal Church, Queen Anne's Parish, Prince
George's Co., MD, vital records section.
Charles marriage p. 2.
Susanna born 3 10ber 1703 p. 1.
Charles born 20 Apr. 1692 p. 1.
Sarah born 18 9ber 1705 p. 2.
Jane born 4 7ber 1707, p. 3.
Mary born 12 7ber 1712, p. 6.
James born 27 Feb. 1712/3, p. 8.
Thomas born 30 Mar. 1712, p. 6.
William born 15 Mar. 1713/4, p. 9.
Sarah born 1715, p. 11.
4. Children appear to be named in order in will. Estimate that Elizabeth was born about
two years after Samuel.
5. Estimate from named first in father's will and on 20 June 1705 as Thomas (T his mark) Lucas, Jr.,
together with [his father] Thomas Lucas, Sr., and [step-mother] Dorothy (+ her mark) Lucas,
witnessed the will of Thomas Sprigg in Prince Georges Co., MD, Wills 1:23-24.
6. Prince George's Co., MD Land Records NN:106-107.
Deposition 26 Mar. 1753 of Mary Scott, age 66. Also mentions her
husband William Scott about 20 years ago.
7. Charles Lucas Will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book 1:323-324.
8. Estimate from named fourth in father's will and record #3 where George Moore and wife
Elizabeth had a first child born 11 May 1716 (p. 12) and a last child born about 1739.
9. Charles Lucas inventory, Prince George's Co., MD Inventories DD1:27-29.
Signed by Thomas Lucas and Mary Scott as next of kin.
10. Prince George's Co., MD Land Records BB1:46.
11. Maryland State Papers No. 1 The Black Books (Annapolis, Maryland: Hall of Records
Commission, 1943), p. 37, #263.
1733 Prince George's County list of taxables in Western Branch Hundred includes Dorothy
Lucas, James Lucas, Samuel Lucas, John Lucas.
12. See Hungerford page, #11 and #16 for evidence.
13. Frederick Co., MD Land Records E:655-656.
14. Barton Lucas will, Prince George's Co., MD Will Book T #1:216.
15. Bazil Lucas administration bond, Baltimore Co., MD, Administration Bonds No. 5:53.
16. Adelaide L. Fries, Records of Moravians in North Carolina,, (Raleigh:
North Carolina Historical Commission, 1941), Vol. 5, p. 2301.
17. Prince George's Parish, Frederick Co., MD
Charles born 1 Mar. 1726 p. 264.
Barton born 29 January 1729/30 p. 264.
18. Frederick Co., MD Land Records E, pp. 655-656.
16 Jan. 1755 Thomas Lucas Jr. and wife Mary deed to
"brother Barton Lucas."
19. Prince George's Co., MD Land Records BB, pp. 436-437
1769 deposition James Lucas was age 56.
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 12 Mar. 2021