In May 2015 y-DNA results for a descendant of Daniel LEWIS became available. He
is a member of Lewis Haplogroup R1b, Genetic Family P.
His matches include several families from the NC, TN, AL areas,
but how he might be related is not yet known.
Daniel LEWIS b. about 1790-1800 probably in NC1,9 or perhaps AL2;
married Abigail BROWN3
Daniel died between 13 Mar. 18437 and 10 Oct. 184416 in Franklin Co., MO
Both he and his wife were buried in Hamilton Cemetery.15
The ancestry of Daniel LEWIS is unknown. He is NOT the same as Daniel
Pennington LEWIS who was born 20 Jan. 1802, son of James LEWIS and Ann
Elizabeth STEWART, with whom some researchers have confused him. That
Daniel LEWIS died 1 Oct. 1873 in Platte County, MO.
Children of Daniel LEWIS and Abigail BROWN3:
1. James7 Brown4,6 LEWIS b. 17 Sep. 18184,6 Blount (now Jefferson)17 Co., Ala.1,12;
m.1. Ann Mariah (FALWELL)17 MUSICK 25 Nov. 1844;5 m.2. Sarah F. LOGAN 2 June 1870;5
d. 3 Jan. 19034 bur. Johnson Cem.,6 Franklin Co., MO
2. Rebecka7 A. LEWIS b. 19 Jan. 18208 Ala.;9 m. Jesse L. SHORT5,7
31 Mar. 1839;5 d. 18 May 1890;8 bur. Old Grounds Cem., Blue Ridge,
Collin Co., TX8
3. William7 Perry LEWIS b. 8 Apr. 182110 Ala.;2 m. Miranda SHORT,15 daughter of
Aaron SHORT and first wife Mariah WALL; William P. LEWIS d.
20 Apr. 1908;10 bur. Oak Grove Cem., Franklin Co., MO10
4. Joshua7 West LEWIS; b. ca. 1825 Ala.11 or TN12; m. Dianna Margret14 LEWIS
18 Apr. 1847;5 d. between 30 July and 5 Dec. 1870;14 bur. Hamilton Cem.,15
Franklin Co., MO
5. Jane5,7 LEWIS b. ca. 182812 Franklin Co., MO;12 m. Squire Woodford SHORT
29 Jan. 1846;5 d. between 1 June 185012 and 22 Jan. 185313 Franklin Co.,
1. 1880 Franklin Co., MO, James Lewis household, p. 195A.
2. 1880 Franklin Co., MO, William Perry Lewis, Sr. household, p. 195B.
3. Information in 1962 of Edith May (Pierce) Webb, (1888- ?), granddaughter
of James Brown Lewis and great-granddaughter of Daniel Lewis and Abigail
Brown. Photocopy in my possession.
4. Transcript of James Brown Lewis Bible, location of original unknown.
5. Franklin Co., MO marriages.
Jesse Short-Rebecca Lewis, A:152.
James B. Lewis-Mrs. Ann Mariah Musick, B:3.
Squire Short-Miss Jane Lewis, B:17-18.
Joshua W. Lewis-Dianna Lewis, B:43.
James B. Lewis-Sarah F. Logan, C:213
6. James B. Lewis headstone, Johnson Cem., Franklin Co., MO
7. Daniel Lewis original will transcription, Franklin Co., MO courthouse.
8. Rebecca A. Short headstone, Old Grounds Cem., Blue Ridge, Collin Co., TX
9. 1880 Collin Co., TX, Jesse Short household, p. 294A.
10. W. Perry Lewis headstone, Oak Grove Cem., Franklin Co., MO
11. 1860 Franklin Co., MO census, J. W. Lewis household, p. 142.
12. 1850 Franklin Co., MO census.
James B. Lewis household, p. 28.
Joshua W. Lewis household, p. 62.
Squire Short household, p. 84.
13. Franklin Co., MO deeds J:381-382.
Only Squire signed the deed. Two months later he remarried.
14. Joshua W. Lewis will, Franklin Co., MO wills C:80-82.
15. Lewis Family Book Committee, History of The Lewis Family 1635-1958,
(no location: by authors, 1958).
16. Daniel Lewis estate file, 1844, Franklin Co., MO estate files.
Image 49 is a bill 10 Oct. 1844 for making a coffin.
17. Missouri Death Certificates 1910-1955, Missouri State Archives.
Julius Edwin Lewis death certificate who died 21 Jan. 1925 in Franklin
County. Indexed incorrectly under "Lulius" Edwin Lewis. Father James B. Lewis
listed as born in Jefferson Co., Ala. Jefferson County was not formed until 1819,
and was part of Blount County when James was born. The informant Lottie Flora
was a daughter of Julius Edwin and granddaughter of James.
Page created by: email@example.com
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 13 May 2019