The identity of the HUMPHRIES who married Mary GREGORY is uncertain. Mary
GREGORY is likely identical to Mary, the wife of Christopher HUMPHRIES, below,
but she may be the wife of Christopher's brother William, the name of his wife
Mary GREGORY1 and her HUMPHRIES1 (UMPHERIS)2 husband were the parents of:
1. Sarah HUMPHRIES1,2 b. say 1735 Pasquotank Co., NC; m. Thomas FENTON;1
living 1779 Currituck Co., NC3
Known information on earlier generations of HUMPHRIES in Pasquotank Co., NC:
John HUMPHRY, Sr. wrote his will on 2 Dec. 1708/9, there being no probate
date.4 Note that he named two sons John in his will in the phrase "four sons
John HUMPHRYS, Wm. HUMPHRYS, Christoper HUMPHRYS & John HUMPHRYS, and I doe
alsoe by these presents sett my youngest son John free after [my? death?]".
John Sr. had children:
1. Mary HUMPHRIES4 m. Griffith GRAY4
2. Sarah HUMPHRIES4 m. Mr. BRAY4
3. John HUMPHRIES4 born say 1684; married Elizabeth JENNINGS by 1716;5
d. before 17416
1. Dorothy HUMPHRIES6 [sole daughter and heiress] m. 173714
Mr. Nicholas14 SPINKS6; living 1756 North Kingston, Kings Co., RI14
4. William HUMPHRIES4 born say 1686; wife's name unknown, but she remarried
Joseph MORGAN by 17407
1. John HUMPHRIES7,11 born say 1719;7 ?[m. Jane -?- who remarried Relfe LEWIS]?;
1. William HUMPHRIES born ca. 1747;10 In 1758 Jane HUMPHRIES, wife
of Relfe LEWIS, bound a child [unnamed] to Joshua SMITHSON. In
1761 Wm. was bound with his own consent to his "uncle William
HUMPHRIES." In 1762 William HUMPHRIS was to deliver William, Jr.,
son of John to Relfe LEWIS.10
2. William HUMPHRIES7 born say 1721;9 living 176210
3. Jonathan HUMPHRIES7 born say 17288
5. Christopher12 HUMPHRIES4 born say 1688; m. Mary12
d. between 8 Oct. 173313 and 10 Jan. 1751/212
Mary was living in 175112
1. Joseph HUMPHRIES12 b. say 1718; m. Elisabeth;12 d. Jan. 1751/212
6. John HUMPHRIES4
1. Margaret Gregory file, 1756, Pasquotank County, NC estate files.
2. Margaret Gregory will, NC Secretary of State original wills.
Margaret Gregory will, transcription.
3. 1779 Currituck County, NC tax list, Currituck County, NC GenWeb Project.
4. John Humphrys, Senr. will, NC Secretary of State original wills.
John Humphrys will transcription.
5. Pasquotank Co., NC 1700-1747 deeds (retranscribed 1874):150.
6. Pasquotank Co., NC deeds B:439-440.
7. William Humphries file, 1742, Pasquotank County, NC loose estate files.
Jan. 1740 John petitioned for his part of the estate, to be satisfied by
his "father in law Joseph Morgan." Implication is John was at least age 21.
8. Weynette Parks Haun, Pasquotank County, North Carolina County Court
Minutes (Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions) 1737 thru 1746 Book I,
(Durham, NC: Haun, 1981), 52.
Jonathan Humphris chose John Humphris as his guardian, implying he was at
least age 14.
9. Haun, I:50.
July 1742 William had a petition, probably the undated petition in #7
for his "father in law" Joseph Morgan to deliver his part of the estate.
10. Weynette Parks Haun, Pasquotank County, North Carolina County Court
Minutes (Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions) 1754 thru 1762 Book III,
(Durham, NC: Haun, 1997), 58, 75, 119.
11. Pasquotank Co., NC deeds B:47-48.
12. Joseph Humphris will, Pasquotank Co., NC original wills, NC State Archives.
13. Pasquotank Co., NC deeds B:318.
14. Pasquotank Co., NC deeds F&G:125
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 4 Feb. 2017