Walter Cornish of Tiverton, Devon, England was descended from the "Cornish
of Cornish Hall" in Cornwall.1 While this location has not been
identified the arms and crest used by Walter's grandson George is nearly
identical to that of the CORNISH family of Marazion, Cornwall.18
The arms and crest of George CORNISH are described as "Sable a chevron embattles
or, charged with a crescent, between three roses argent; Crest - a bird sable
rising on a log of wood from which is issuing a twig with leaves vert, and
berries or, small flowers gules. As there is no written blazon, one may presume
this bird is a chough, though the red beaks and legs which constitute an heraldic
chough are not tricked."22
The Marazion arms and crest are identical, except they do not contain the crescent
on either the chevron or chough, and the twig does not contain the berries. They are
"Arms: Sable a chevron embattled, or, between three rose argent."
Crest: A Cornish chough, sable, wings endorsed, beaked and legged, gules,
standin on a branch of olive, ppr."23
A crescent was used to show cadence, and represents descent from a second son.
The earliest known person of the Marazion family is William CORNISH, Esq.
who was buried 4 Dec. 1779, age 59.19 It may be that the CORNISH family of
Tiverton, Devon and that from Marazion, Cornwall descend from a not too
distant common ancestor.
The wife of Walter CORNISH may have been Maragaret who was buried
14 Jan. 1559/60 at Tiverton.2 Walter CORNISH had children:
1. George CORNISH2 b. say 1540;3 m. Maria/Mary LAWRENCE;1 bur. 6 Feb. 1607/8
at Tiverton;2 she bur. 15 Sep. 1622 Tiverton2
2. Edmond CORNISH5 b. say 1542;3 m. 15 Sep. 1565 Allice CORAM;2 bur. 24 Apr.
3. Ralph/Raffe CORNISH5 b. say 1544;3 m. Dec. 1570 Margaret;2 bur. 27 June 1602
George CORNISH and Maria/Mary LAWRENCE had children:
1. Alice CORNISH6 b. ca. 1564;4 m. Robert READ 9 Nov. 1591;2 living 16216
2. Prudence CORNISH20 b. ca. 1566;4 m.1. John GODDARD 27 Apr. 1594;2
m.2. -?- ISAAC 16 Jan. 1606/77
3. James CORNISH9,21 b. ca. 1568;4 m.1. -?- -?-; m.2. Sarah BERYMAN 26 Dec. 1611;2
bur. 30 July 1635 Tiverton2
4. Annes CORNISH2 bap. 28 Sep. 1570 Tiverton;2 m. James OTTWAY 15 Sep. 15992
5. Thomas CORNISH2 bap. 4 Mar. 1571/2 Tiverton;2 d. between 1619-16418
6. John CORNISH2 bap. 14 Nov. 1573 Tiverton;2 died young
7. Margaret CORNISH2 bap. 9 Jan. 1574/5 Tiverton;2 m.1. John MIDDLEDON
18 Nov. 1601;2 m.2. Mr. LEVITT9/LIBBETT6; living 16559
8. Ellen/Ellnor CORNISH2 bap. 12 Apr. 1577 Tiverton;2 m. Humfry MORGAN
3 Oct. 1603;2 living 162010
9. Richard CORNISH2 bap. 25 Jan. 1578/9 Tiverton;2 m. Grace GOODING
27 June 1604;11 bur. 29 Sep. 1625;2 she m.2. Richard HONNIWELL 22 Apr. 1628;2
she was buried 26 July 1658 Tiverton2
10.George CORNISH2 bap. 18 Apr. 1581;2 m. Isabel ROBERTES (lic. date) 6 May 1611;12
bur. 12 Oct. 1655 St. Mary Magdalen Milk Street, London13
Richard CORNISH and Grace GOODING had children:
1. Jane CORNISH2 bap. 6 Jan. 1606/7 Tiverton;2 bur. 28 Oct. 1608 Tiverton2
2. John CORNISH2 bap. 14 Mar. 1609/10 Tiverton2
3. Jane CORNISH2 bap. 15 Aug. 1612 as "Jone" at Tiverton;2 m.1 Edward ROBINS
(lic. date) 16 Apr. 1630;14 m.2. George PUDDINGTON;15 living 1674 Anne Arundel
4. Alice CORNISH2 bap. 28 Aug. 1614 Tiverton2
5. Thomas CORNISH17 born ca. 1616;4 m. Agnes PUDDINGTON 13 Jan. 1634/5;2
bur. 18 Apr. 1654 Tiverton2
6. Grace CORNISH2 bap. 14 Feb. 1618/9 Tiverton;2 m. George DREW 2 May 16392
Further details and documentation of this Cornish family may be found in an
article by this author in the Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin,
42: 51-101 (Winter 2001).
1. Joseph Jackson Howard and Joseph Lemuel Chester, ed., The Visitation
of London anno Dominia 1633, 1634, and 1635, (London: Mitchell and
Hughes, Wardour Street W., 1880) being one of the Publications of the
Harleian Society, XV:191, George Cornish Arms.
2. St. Peter's Parish Register, Church of England, Tiverton, England, read
by Devon Record Office, Exeter, England.
3. Estimate from marriage date.
4. Estimate from recorded births of other children.
5. Assumed from appearance at Tiverton beginning about the same time as
the family of George Cornish.
6. Robert Read will, Prerogative Court of Canterbury (PCC) wills 1623,
89 Swann, FHL microfilm 0,092,093. Among his bequests were to his
"sister-in-law" Margaret LIBBETS (called sister Margaret LEVITT in
will of her brother George CORNISH), and to the children of James
CORNISH, Thomas CORNISH, Richard CORNISH, George CORNISH, and Humfrey
7. Church of England, Parish Church of Tiverton, Transcripts of Parish
Registers and Bishop's Transcripts, FHL microfilm 0,917,540.
8. A. J. Howard, editor and transcriber, The Devon Protestation Returns
1641, (Pinner, Middlesex: by author, 1973). Only one Thomas was
listed, who would be his nephew Thomas, son of Richard.
9. George Cornish will, PCC wills 1655, 378 Aylett, FHL microfilm 0,092,214.
In his will he mentioned his nephew John Goddard, his sister Margaret
Levitt, and his late deceased brother James Cornish.
10. Humfrey Morgan will, PCC wills 1620, 31 Soame, FHL microfilm 0,092,079.
11. Charles F. C. Luxmore, transcriber, Registers of the Parish of
Huntsham 1559-1900, (Exeter: William Pollard & Co., Ltd, North
Stree, 1905), FHL microfilm 0,917,150.
12. Bishop of London Marriage License Allegations, Diocese of London, England,
1601-1604 volume, unpaginated, arranged by date. Spine of book that
says 1601-1604 contains allegations from 1610-1613. Spine of book that
says 1610-1613 contains allegations from 1601-1604. FHL microfilm
13. St. Mary Magdalen Milk Street Parish Register, Church of England, London
England, FHL microfilm 0,374,489.
14. Diocese of Exeter Marriage Bonds and Allegations, Devonshire, England.
Abstract of only names and dates. Originals destroyed by bombing
in 1942. FHL microfilm 0,916,997.
15. Northampton Co., VA orders, deeds, and wills 3:107, FHL microfilm
16. George Puddington will, Maryland wills 2:6, FHL microfilm 0,012,841.
17. Thomas Cornish will, PCC wills 1654, 3 Alchin, FHL microfilm 0,092,197.
That he named his mother Grace Honniwell places his identity.
18. C. S. Gilbert, An Historical Survey of the County of Cornwall,
(Plymouth: J. Congdon, 1817-1820), 2:81.
19. Parish of St. Hilary and Marazion, FHL microfilm 0,254,217.
20. Her son John Goddard was called "nephew" in the will of George Cornish.
21. James Cornish will, PCC wills 1635, 116 Sadler, FHL microfilm 0,092,133.
In his will he mentioned his "brother George Cornish of London."
22. The Society of Cornishes, Arms of the Family of Cornish.
23. John Burke and Bernard Burke, A Genealogical and Heraldic Dictionary of
the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland, (London: Henry Colburn, 1847),
pp. 264-265, "Cornish of Marazion".
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fredric Z. Saunders
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 18 Nov. 2011