Mr. Lewis16 was married about 1801 to Susanna LINK17
They had child:
1. Mary LEWIS16 born 12 Jan. 1802,1 probably VA; m.1. George MINGLES 17 Jan. 1819;2
m. 2. Ephraim BRILES 6 Aug. 1835;3 d. between 2 Aug. 1843,4 and 27 July 1845,5
Harrison Co., IN
Susnnah LINK17 secondly married about 1803 to Jacob McCOY17 and had children:
1. Sarah "Sally" McCOY born 20 May 1804,6 VA; married 22 June 1823 Elijah DAUGHERTY;7
d. 21 Nov. 1887 Crawford Co., IN
2. Peter McCOY born 4 Apr. 1808,6,9 Washington Co., TN; m. Myra MELTON 20 Oct. 1831;8
d. 4 Aug. 1880;9 bur. Gibson Cem., Colchester, McDonough Co., IL9
3. Elizabeth McCOY b. 22 May 1810,6,12 Washington Co, TN; m.1 Joseph BAILEY 28 Feb. 1828;10
m.2. Francis M. PIKE 27 Dec. 1864;11 d. 8 Sep. 1882 bur. Bethel Cem., Lynnville,
Jasper Co., IA12
4. John McCOY b. 18 June 1812,6 Washington Co., TN
5. Dovie McCOY b. 23 Feb. 1814,6 Washington Co., TN; m.1 Benjamin Franklin Wade
20 Mar. 1834;13 m.2 Charles William Smith 21 Jan. 1869;14 d. 1882 Silverton,
Marion Co., OR; bur. Miller Cem., Silverton, Marion Co., OR15
1. Fielding Amy family records (Bible?) formerly in possession of
Betsy Amy Smith of Olney Spring, Colo, (now deceased). Current
location of original unknown.
2. Harrison Co., IN Marriage Records 1817-1832 Book A, pp. 20-21.
George Mingles-Mary Lewis.
3. Harrison Co., IN Marriage Records 1832-1846 Book A.
Ephraim Briles- Mary Mingles p. 47.
4. Louis Briles death certificate
Birth date of son Lewis
5. Harrison Co., IN Marriage Records 1832-1846 Book A.
Ephraim Briles-Mary Coffman, widow of Wm Coffman p. 191.
6. McCoy Bible record cited in 27 July 2008 e-mail from "Sonja" to
Mel Brashears [MBrashears AT aol.com]
On a back flyleaf:
"Sarah McCoy, daughter Jacob & Susanna McCoy was born May the 20th 1804"
"Peter McCoy son of Jacob & Susanna McCoy was born Aprill [sic] the 4 1808"
"Elizabeth McCoy was born May the 22nd 1810"
"John McCoy son to Jacob & Susanna McCoy was born June the 18th (not sure it is an 8), 1812"
"Dove McCoy daughter of Susan [sic] and Jacob McCoy was born February the 23rd 1814"
7. Harrison Co., IN Marriage Records 1817-1832 Book A, pp. 130-131.
Elijah Daugherty-Sally McCoy.
8. Harrison Co., IN Marriage Records 1817-1832 Book A, pp. 344-345.
Peter McCoy-Mira Melton.
9. Peter McCoy headstone, Gibson Cem., Colchester, McDonough Co., IL.
10. Harrison Co., IN Marriage Records 1817-1832 Book A, pp. 246-247.
Joseph Baley-Elizabeth McCoy.
11. Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900.
Francis M. Pike-Mrs. Elizabeth Bailey
12. Elizabeth Bailey headstone, Bethel Cem., Lynnville Jasper Co., IA
13. Harrison Co., IN Marriage Book A-3, p. 29.
Benjamin Waid-Dovey McCoy
14. Marion County, Oregon, Marriage Records, No. 1118.
Charles W. Smith- Dovy Wade
15. Dovie Wade Smith headstone, Miller Cem., Silverton, Marion Co.,OR
16. Lynne C. Morris Keasling, Early Marriage Consents and Records in
Harrison County, Indiana: January 1810 to December 1832,
(Corydon, IN: Hoosier Elm Chapter NSDAR, 2011).
Image of Susanna McCoy signed consent for marriage of daughter Mary Lewis.
The author was contacted to obtain a copy of the original and this was their
"About 6 years ago the Co Clerk's Archives were moved to a location again in
the old original courthouse during a County wide records move. My DAR group
helped in the sorting and stacking of things. I found a folder/box of old marriage
consents that I was positive had not been at least copied. So another DAR sister
and I sorted them, copied and put into book form. The folder/box (I don't quite
remember what it was in) was then moved to the Clerk's archives kept locked. I
checked my book copy and indeed there is the Mingles permission slip that I will
copy for you. All we have is the xeroxed copy of the original permission. I searched
diligently through the Clerk's boxes and did not find that collection. They did have
a box of the earlier ones but this was not among them. Those had been put into book
for[m] in probably the 1950's. The County Clerk even came down and we both looked
everywhere for those loose slips that I had found some years ago. IF they are there--they
are in another box but their files are very well organized. It IS possible that
somehow they have been "removed/taken" or ? So I will send you a copy from my
book of those "Unearthed" copies."
17. Peter Vandevander will, Harrison County, Indiana, Will Record A, pp. 98-99.
4 May 1820 Peter Vandevander will of Harrison County County, Indiana
To step children Catharine Link (now Catharine Copp) the heirs of Polly
Link lately Polly Moran, deceased, Sarah Link now Sarah Blume, and Susanna
Link now Susanna McCoy all the landed estate as well as personal estate I
now own either legally or equitably in Pendleton County, Virginia, each one
fourth part, as tenants in common not as joint tenants. My step daughters
aforesaid shall not inherit nor their heirs any other or further portion of
my estate real or personal.
Frederick Blume to be executor
Signed: Peter (X his mark) Vandevender
Witness: Tobias Briles, David Conrod, John Cosner?
May Term 1824 proved by David Conrod and Tobias Briles
Page created by: firstname.lastname@example.org
1234 Waterside Cove #21
Midvale, UT 84047-4293
Last revised: 9 July 2020